Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonetoday

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2009
I need a idea from you guy please ?

I read all review search that iphone 3g att today cannot unlock until downgrade
and work inside hardware otherwise have to used with xsim . So should i purchase iphone unlock world online which is cost around $ 800 buck and no warranty . Please give idea

thank you

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Yes, the 3G iPhones sold in AT&T and Apple stores now most likely have the latest firmware/baseband that cannot be unlocked. A factory-unlocked iPhone will cost you around $800 but it will work with any GSM provider in the world and will remain unlocked through firmware updates from Apple. (I have a factory-unlocked 3G from New Zealand, myself.)

Your other alternative is to buy a used iPhone from eBay or locally that is still running the 2.2 (NOT 2.2.1) firmware which can still be unlocked. This will probably be slightly cheaper than a factory-unlocked iPhone, but you won't be able to upgrade to the upcoming 3.0 firmware when it's released this summer without re-locking it.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I need a idea from you guy please ?

I read all review search that iphone 3g att today cannot unlock until downgrade
and work inside hardware otherwise have to used with xsim . So should i purchase iphone unlock world online which is cost around $ 800 buck and no warranty . Please give idea

thank you
Pretty sure if you buy an factory unlocked iPhone from a country that sells them such as France you would get a warranty still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.