Please describe how the nVidia video test by Genius is done

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Daud, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Daud macrumors regular

I purchased Early 2008 MBP 17 for $680 on eBay in April. I did not connect that I am purchasing one of those nVidia MBP. Since the beginning, I had the battery not charging ocassional problem which was solved by getting a new genuine battery ($99 at the Genius bar, nice). For the good measure, as the extended warranty was running out, I asked for the nVidia test. As much as I recall, the MBP was on when the Genius1 brought an external hard drive and ran the test - negative. Later I started to have problems typical for the card blocking the computer to start with no video but the LED on. It can be cured (twice) by removing the battery and letting the MBP on for hours until it is VERY HOT. Then on restart, it catches on and stys working.
    I attempted a visit to the Genius Bar again, despite officially, I am out of the extended 3y warranty. I hoped to point to the visit in May.
    The Genius2 was condescending. He ran the test differently, first connecting the drive and then starting the computer, which has never fully booted, only the circular sign for ca. 3 min. He then went away to "test the data" and came back telling me that my computer is not affected by the nVidia problem and that 100 other problems can cause black screen and can be cured by "baking".
    I think he was just pretending doing the test, they were quite busy at the moment. Only offer was for $525 repair with MB change in shop or sending it out for $300 fee.
    Comments ? Recommendation for cheaper (NYC?) repair shop ?

2. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

He definitely didn't run the test properly. Like you said, he was probably busy and didn't want to spend too much time on it. Get them to run the test again properly since it should be covered for 4 years.