"Please disconnect and insert SIM", I have only Pay as you Go SIM

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by user123456789, Jan 24, 2011.

1. user123456789 macrumors newbie

I recently got an iphone from my dad who got it from someone else, he claimed it was unlocked, the guy took it back to get all the details off it and to wipe it, after this, thinking it was unlocked I tried putting my own SIM in it. There was no service, I restored it and now it says:

"there is no SIM card installed in the iPhone you are attempting to activate.
    Please disconnect and insert SIM card in the iPhone.

After readin the sites, apparently restoring and update is a no go, so is there something else i can do to get the iPhone working again to fit any SIM card?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It sounds like it may have been unofficially unlocked, as official unlocks aren't lost after restoring. Do you know which network it's originally from?

3. user123456789, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011

user123456789 thread starter macrumors newbie

my dad just told me that, it was one of the first that came out,, 3G i think he means, and it had a t-mobile SIM card in it, when the guy got it?

i just put my mums SIM in, (shes on a contract) and the iPhone is now working... it thinks im on telekom and instantly says call failed when i phone anyone??? is this a better situation

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Which country are you in, and which network is your mum's SIM from?