Please don't bring back Speakerphone culture!!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dontwalkhand, Apr 18, 2015.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

We all know Apple Watch will have the Speakerphone option. Now Apple has positioned it in a way where it's an "I'll call you back" and hang up type of use case scenario.

Now, that being said lots will abuse it, and you will hear two way conversations in the store in public about things that should really be discussed in private, and so on and so forth.

Remember those old Nextel walkie talkie phones? Oh god. I hope people will still pull out their iPhone to talk and not bring back speakerphone culture.

2. Jsmil009 macrumors regular

I am actually looking forward to this in a way. I want to act real obnoxious and watch people's reactions. Lol

3. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Lol, I'm looking forward to this as well, if only to "shock" my older coworkers who think that smartwatches are from the future. One of my other coworkers has a Moto 360, and the others were disappointed when he couldn't make phone calls on it. I'll be stealing the spotlight come next Friday haha!

Also, it will be really useful to me when I'm driving since my car doesn't have Bluetooth audio!

4. macsplusmacs macrumors regular

The 360 can't make or receive phone calls? I did not know that.

5. JohnApples macrumors 65816

It can "receive" them technically, but if you answer the call, you have to take it on your phone. The Moto has a microphone, but no speaker, so it would be impossible to have an actual phone conversation. I was surprised when I learned this as well.

6. macsplusmacs macrumors regular

That's Android for you!

One big hodgepodge of mess.

7. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Do any Android wear watches have a speaker?

8. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Some people just want to watch the world burn

9. JohnApples, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015

JohnApples macrumors 65816

It's more of Motorola's fault than Android's. The Moto's specs are rather disappointing (in my opinion of course) with the trade off being an "elegant, sleek design" and a cheaper price point.

The Samsung Gear S does have a speaker, and I believe the LG G Watch R does too.

EDIT: I guess the LG G Watch R doesn't. Seems like it's a relatively new thing for AndroidWear watches.

EDIT... again: So the Gear S is a Tizen-operated watch, not AndroidWear. As it stands, no AndroidWear watches support speaker phone. Learn something new everyday!

10. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

11. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

12. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Where do you live? I was not aware that Speakerphone culture had gone away. I work in an Activity Booth some days on the sidewalk of an outdoor mall near a Safeway on Kauai. People quite often stand 10 feet from my open air booth talking on the iPhone speakerphones about some pretty personal stuff. I usually stare at them with the 'REALLY?" :eek: look until they move away.

13. macsplusmacs macrumors regular

the next time that happens you should Periscope it. (twitter's new app) and broadcast it to the world.

In fact. Everyone should. If they are having their convo's in public, they can't expect privacy correct?

:D

14. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

Heck, I'd take speakerphone over the obnoxious bluetooth folk who carry on conservations in line by themselves. Never know who they're talking to lol

15. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I like the d-bags who are wearing them on their ears while they eat at the diner at 2am. Who's gonna call you at 2am?

16. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

If you talk to your wrist on speaker on the sidewalk you are a tool.

17. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I use a Bluetooth headset but only at work in my activity booth. It frees up my hands to type tickets while I am getting reservations done. Other than that it is ONLY if I am expecting a call on my work phone while driving because my car is only set up to work on my personal iPhone.

----------

I use a Bluetooth headset but only at work in my activity booth. It frees up my hands to type tickets while I am getting reservations done. Other than that it is ONLY if I am expecting a call on my work phone while driving because my car is only set up to work on my personal iPhone.

Speaking of hands free. I CANNOT WAIT to pay for my Starbucks using the watch. Juggling my thermos top AND my 6+ is a pain. It will be like getting an extra hand. :D

18. mizxco macrumors 6502a

mizxco

WHAT? MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER? I ALREADY TOLD YOU, it's 5441..8201! THE WHAT NOW? CVC? What's that? Oh the 3 digit number? It's 315! Okay.. Love you BYE!

19. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

What do you mean bring back? I already see it all the time now lol :p

20. Zxxv macrumors 68040

two way talking/speaker phone is more natural.

21. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I don't think it will change much of anything, the rude people that do that already use their smartphones that way.

I would never use it in public, I look forward to using it at home. Thats the killer feature.

22. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

How old are you? :eek:

23. jjlannoo Suspended

Its already back. I work with the public and people with those giant phones (6+ and others) use it all the time.

24. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

LOL. That is so funny. I get clients who want to call me with their CC # sometimes. I have to let them know that our security does not allow me to repeat it back to them or write it down. I just say yep after each 4 numbers.

25. jediuia macrumors regular

I like the people who still use their in-ear Bluetooth device. They look crazy like they're talking to themselves. Or they might look like a Borg if they have the big old school one.