Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Time Less

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Planet Earth
my wife laughed and says it looks weird on me but I don't care :confused:. the stems are almost 2 times bigger than EarPods so it's another reason for the goofy look.

blue rocket

Suspended
Jul 28, 2010
CT, USA
They are a little goofy, just made these and they honestly look pretty cool with a skin on them!

apple_airpods_color_changing_overlays_apple_stal.jpg

Reactions: tma888

tma888

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
They are a little goofy, just made these and they honestly look pretty cool with a skin on them!

Wow,that black skin looks really awesome. Do you mind taking a picture wearing those? I wish Apple did that in the first place.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
I thought they looked silly as well, then I saw that gif making the rounds on the internet which showed the AirPods and then the EarPods with the wire on someone's ear, and it literally looks the same minus the wire, it doesn't look any more weird or silly. Unfortunately I can't find the gif right now

The problem is one of visual context.

When people see wires, they think "headphones/earbuds". Without the wires there is less context to make out what is in the ears of the wearer.

Over time this could go away if people become used to seeing wireless earbuds. They are going to look weird for some time though.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I think it's the same principal as wearing a bluetooth headset for making calls. Remember the Plantronics and Jabras with the extended microphones? People were walking around looking like they were talking to Mission Control. Still see them from time to time. Perfectly acceptable now, but like the Airpods, not for me.

Reactions: PurpleSookie

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
Wouldn't this world be BORING if EVERYONE liked the SAME THING?

I, personally, think people that wear full blown headphones out and about look stupid. But to each his/her own!

Reactions: Sunny1990

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wouldn't this world be BORING if EVERYONE liked the SAME THING?

I, personally, think people that wear full blown headphones out and about look stupid. But to each his/her own!

Diversifying is good for products, being everyone has different preferences. And I would rather much have Airpods in public then a giant pair of beats headphones over my head. But to each their own.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I don't know if I'm by myself here or what but I honestly don't care about how I look at all, and certainly don't care how people think I look wearing my earbuds. I'm actually probably gonna have nerd pride walking around in my AirPods.

Reactions: moxxham

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
After using my AirPods for a few days now, I've had members of the public come up asking me about them and saying that they seem really awesome.
It is actually starting to look weird now when I see people using EarPods with wires hanging everywhere and getting tangled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.