Please don't kill me, but.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ori, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Ori macrumors 6502

I am thinking of packing it in with the Iphone.

Let me start off by saying, that I love the phone I really do, but I am on the verge of starting to dislike it because of the problems I am having with it.

I'm not too fussed about missing features(mms, push notification, sms forwarding etc....) as I believe they will come and I knew about them before getting the Iphone, but the stability of this OS and poor reception is starting to get to me.

Is it me or do other people think we deserve better? I was an early adopter of the original Iphone and an early adopter of the 3G Iphone and yet I am really annoyed at how bad this phone is. Lag, crashes, updates that don't fix it. Battery life which I accept, but think should be better.

It is actually starting to bring me down. It has now reached the point where I no longer recommend it to my friends as it's got so many bugs.

If I wanted a phone that was laggy, unreliable and kept crashing I would get a windows mobile device. At least then I would have decent reception on 3G!
    When did Apple let their software get this bad?

I know I am just venting and won't really get rid of the Iphone, but why is 2.0 (and updates) so much worse than 1.1.4? Sigh.

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

fyi - but getting rid of the iPhone isn't really Death worthy....

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I only have apps crash occasionally and its usually 3rd party apps which is quite understandable. I also believe that 3rd party apps, although offer great enhancements to the phone, also introduce many more possibilities for things to go wrong. I limit my apps to only the absolute must have apps. If I download an app and its hardly used or more trouble than its worth then in the trash it goes (even if its paid for). As a result my iPhone is quite stable and speedy.

4. profetto macrumors regular

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Have you tried setting it up as a new phone? I've heard reports that it might be bad backups causing the bugginess. Try doing a restore with 2.0.2 and do not install from a backup. It might take care of everything for you.

6. Ori thread starter macrumors 6502

It is for some people on this site!! :D

7. cantankerously macrumors regular

If it doesn't perform, then return it. That's understandable.

8. Ori thread starter macrumors 6502

That sounds like a lot of work. I will give it a go tonight to see if it does anything though. I shouldn't need to do this though. It's Apple. It should be easy!!

How do I install without allowing the restore to take place?

9. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

First of all you probably download some bad unstable apps...that screwed up your Iphone...and you live in a area that has subpar 3G...you need to realize that in the boondocks or deadzones...3G is not gonna work. Do the restore and comeback here and tell us what happended..

Return the phone if it did not fix anything because yours is defective.

I will never understand why people settle..if your iphone is performing like crap after a full restore..then there is something wrong with the phone.

10. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

You have to take most everyone on this site with a grain of salt... just my experience.

11. Ori thread starter macrumors 6502

I will try the full restore, but I have done restore several times before but have always restored from backup afterwards. I didn't think this would mess things up.

As for returning the phone...whats the point? I will get another "buggy" Iphone like a lot of people here?

12. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Hmm, I've never seen a Windows Mobile device this laggy and unreliable. I've seen some crappy Symbian devices though. My last two SonyEricsson phones (M600i, P1i) were sluggish and buggy and would sometimes crash or even hang, requiring a reboot. But the actual hardware is flawless -- reliable, durable, no cracks, no dropped calls, no miserable battery life etc. After all, Ericsson has been making phones for 130 years. They are also one of the main suppliers of cellular infrastructure and they had a major hand in the development of 3G, Bluetooth and other standards. When they teamed up with Sony they added some much needed design sensibility, plus some damn fine technology such as the Carl Zeiss optics used in their phone cams.

Apple, by contrast, are complete phone n00bs who took a bunch of off-the-shelf chips, threw them in a device and hoped it would work, and we are beta testing it for them now at our expense. They might get the hang of it in 5-10 years, but right now they're only learning how to build a phone. Yes, the software is fantastic (when it works) and the interface is brilliant, but the actual meat-and-potatoes phone hardware (and the cam) is a mess. A mess which probably can't be sorted out with software updates. And Apple could never afford the cost and embarrasment of a massive callback so they will probably modify the hardware quietly, so that late adopters will get a functional iPhone while the rest of us will have to put up with the nuked, mass-produced prototype.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If you have a bad backup, then restoring from it will re-introduce whatever is wrong.

So make a clean restore.

Then add apps that you know that work okay. Some out there may be causing problems. Be sure that you have the latest versions before installing.

14. alFR macrumors 68020

lol, substitute "mp3 player" for "phone" there and you've got pretty much what people were saying when the iPod was released. Look how badly that did....

15. Ori thread starter macrumors 6502

If that ends up being the case. I would walk into the nearest apple store and demand one that works with the new hardware.
    In the UK we have statutary rights which declares that an item has to be "fit for purpose".

If an item isn't working and is a genuine defect (not wear and tear) with the item then you can return it at any time and get a full refund! It could be 1 day, 6 months or 6 years after you bought it. So I don't think Apple can get away with doing hardware fixes here in the UK.

16. Sylar macrumors newbie

Sylar

Kill you?

Oh, we'll find you alright. Don't even THINK about returning that beauty! (j/K :D)

In all seriousness however, if it's not working up to your liking I would definitely return it. Everyone needs/expects different things out of their phones/devices, and for some of us junkies, the iPhone is xanadu in tech form. Others rightfully might not agree. Try out a blackberry if the iPhone isn't your cup of tea. After testing every device you can think of, the BB Curve was the only device to ever hold my interest aside from the iPhone, so the BB Bold might be perfect for you.

17. Ori thread starter macrumors 6502

I used to have a blackberry and dread going back to it. Worse is that most of the missing "features" like longer vibrate, different notifications etc can all be done if you jailbreak the phone. Something I will never do.
    But it isn't the missing features that bother me. It's the basic phone functions that don't work properly as well as some serious bugs within the software. Remove the bugs and get the phone working to spec then I would be happy. I loved my old Iphone. It worked!!!!

18. jk000 macrumors regular

jk000

More than a grain mate, i'd take a pot!

19. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah, except the competition didn't have a 130 year head start. The first iPod-like DAPs came out in 1998 and the iPod was introduced 3 years later. Must have been SO hard to get a foot in the door to a market that barely existed.

With the iPhone they ventured into a swamped market over a decade after the main players, and we're talking phones now... not self-contained single-purpose audio players that plug into USB sockets. It needs to work with cellular infrastructures around the globe.

Also, the iPod was quite revolutionary and a massive step up from what existed then. The iPhone's only advantage (and a huge one, admittedly) is the software and the interface. In all other aspects it's lagging years behind the competition. 1st gen didn't even have 3G, which had been around for ages in Europe. To hail this as some major sales point, to the point where they actually include "3G" in the name is like if Pizza Hut would start bragging that their pizzas include a cutting edge ingredient called "cheese". The 2MP camera is laughable. There's no flash and no front-facing cam. The battery can't be swapped and it has mediocre life. There's no MMS. Damn cheapskates couldn't even include a dock or a case, which you get with almost every other high-end phone. Not that those phones need cases anyway because they're typically made from durable material that doesn't need a leather or silicone diaper...

Lastly, the iPod sold in massive boatloads above expectations. iPhone sales are below expectations.

20. PredatoryWasp86 macrumors member

You could always get an old one and go back to 1.1.4

21. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

I myself have decided that I've had enough of the iPhone the way it is. My first step will be to call AT&T today on my lunch hour and demand a partial refund every month on my data plan, until they get an iPhone-friendly 3G network established in places where their own maps say there is one. My phone doesn't work properly on 3G either where I work or where I live (Austin and Killeen, TX), and AT&T coverage maps are all blue in both places. As far as I'm concerned, that's breach of contract. After calling AT&T, I'm going to set up an appointment with an Apple Store to try and get my phone replaced, even though I know it will do no good. I don't even know that they'll do it at this stage, but I intend to make a lot of noise about it, with emphasis on the reason I'm demanding it. Sure, the iPhone is a singularly cool device. I wanted an iPod that makes phone calls, and I have one (Edge works mostly fine). But if the companies that distribute and support the thing make certain claims about it, as in the way they make a big deal about the 3G capabilities, IMHO they must ensure the device can live up to those claims for Everyman, Everywhere. That's not the case, and I've had enough of it.

22. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Two words: App Store.

It finally came to me the other day that it wasn't the phone itself that was causing my problems, but the crappy apps I had DL'ed to it and iTunes from the App Store. I'm just now getting time to do a complete wipe and restore, and I'm willing to bet that this will fix it.

23. alFR macrumors 68020

They don't have a 130 year head start in cellphones, either. I don't think experience making rotary dial pulse-dialling landline phones really helps you design a modern cellular handset, do you?

What, you mean the GSM networks it works on already?

I think you're underestimating how important the UI is to the average user. I had a 3G nokia before the iPhone: the UI was so poor and it took so long to do anything that I never even bothered to set my email up on it. Web browsing was a joke. What good are features if you can't be bothered to use them because the UI is so poor?

Camera - fine for many users, there is the argument that if you want a good camera you should get, well, a camera. The pictures from most of the other smartphones may have more pixels but I've yet to see one that approaches the quality of my 4-year-old point and shoot, for example.
    Front-facing cam: video calling is a massive flop. I don't know anyone that uses it, and the uptake on most 3G networks is low.
    MMS - This is an omission, but arguable if that's better than email. It's probably coming eventually anyway.
    Dock/case: no phone I've had in the last 5 years has come with either of these (not counting microfiber bags).
    Case durability: can't speak for the 3G, but my v1 iPhone is holding up fine, thanks.

Got a link for that? I'd say over a million 3Gs in the first weekend was over expectations: the shortages of handsets would seem to bear that out.

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again: WM/Symbian are about to get their asses handed to them on a plate. In 5 years the iPhone will be the dominant smartphone platform. You can call me out on it then if I'm wrong. :)

24. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

From AT&T's "more info" on their coverage map:

How is that a breach of contract?

25. archipellago macrumors 65816

you wanna check the sales of goods act, I take your point but it isn't quite as easy as that.

i am in the uk btw.