please don't laugh too hard

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by socal70xr7, Jul 5, 2009.

1. socal70xr7 macrumors newbie

I was getting my kids a bath and managed to drop the brand new iphone in the tub.:( Was in for about two seconds. Dried it out and now it wants to be restored.I went into ATT and they thought it should easily restore from home. I have gone through the restore process 8-10 times only to have it dump out with a 1002 or 14 error.I tried on a second computer but no luck there either. No such luck so far. Any tips on what might work would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

About $300. If a long, patient drying period doesn't allow it to come back to life, then a new one is about it. You can bet the sensor is nice & pink about now.

3. socal70xr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

it is. anything that can be done with the phone if its not coming back?

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

An extended period in a desiccating agent (silica gel, rice, etc.) for a good couple days. Then try to power up & restore. That's about it, I'm afraid. The potential cost & hassle of repairing a water-damaged iPhone is really not worth the effort unless you're really bored, have lots of time, and money to burn.

5. socal70xr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

So basically just go pony up for another and sell this one for brand new parts!

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Unless someone else chimes in (or search the boards, use http://mroogle.*************/), there's not much in the way of "repair" strategies. Dry and pray is really about the extent of it.

7. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Yea I would be crying about now. I doubt it will work anymore but rice or silica gel for maybe a week or so is just about all you can do...

8. socal70xr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, not real happy right about now. just bought two and now I have to buy a replacement! not a good day in the O.C.

9. socal70xr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

On the positive side I just remembered I used an American Express card. They have purchase protection that covers accidents. Hopefully I can at least get the $200 covered!

10. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Yea using American Express has its benefits! You should be able to get the money out of them. Let us know how it pans out.

11. wpc macrumors regular

I once dropped my phone in the bath and my girlfriend suggested sticking it in a bag of rice, that it would dry it out over a couple of days... i was skeptical... but after 2 or 3 days it worked flawlessly. Worth a try.

12. socal70xr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rice dried it out but it still would not load the operating system. Apple store replaced for the $199 price. Now all to do is file the claim with Amex.

13. socal70xr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Updare

American Express came through. I faxed my Apple store replacement reciept to them along with my claim form. They emailed me back they were crediting my card for the full amount of the phone and tax! Definitely will use them for electronic purchases in the future!:D

14. chrbau macrumors member

15. beeh macrumors regular

Which card is it? Amex Blue? Or any Amex card?

16. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I absolutely love AMEX. I was stranded on the side of a highway in the middle of nowhere (Montana) and they paid to have me towed back to civilization. 90 bucks a year isn't so bad. I will always do stuff like that through them.

EDIT: @beeh: mine is a green one. The higher up you go the better the benefits are, I'm prequal'ed to get a platinum card but I don't want to pay $450 for an annual fee.

17. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

I also drowned my new 3GS a few weeks ago and I'm waiting on my claim from AMEX. They've got all my paper work so it should be coming through any day now.

18. socal70xr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

19. PlatinumKitten macrumors newbie

PlatinumKitten

I once dropped my old razor phone in the toilet. I let it dry our for about a month then it worked again. :eek: Good luck getting yours to work.

20. socal70xr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

No need on my part. Apple replaced mine and Amex refunded my cost.