Please don't ruin our DATA PLANS!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mister880, Jun 18, 2009.

1. mister880 macrumors member

The iPhone uses alot of DATA and we in the US pay less than anywhere else in the world for unlimited data on our devices. Whenever I am overseas it's absolutely crippling to have turn off data abroad because I don't want some $300 dollar bill for using Google Maps to find my hotel.

Those of you who are illegally stealing bandwidth by teathering your laptop to your iPhone would have been the first to complain if AT&T had allowed teathering and all the iPhones in the US would have brought the DATA market to a STOP! Not a crawl a flat out not going to even get ping back from the network STOP!

MMS hasn't been a big deal for you since you bought the first iPHONE it was clearly a missing feature and you have used it all this time why not just wait for AT&T to enable it on our device when they are ready?

If enough people push this teathering to the point that AT&T has to push back then we can all count on our DATA Plans going SKY HIGH and loose our unlimited choice!

Lastly everyone pissed off about the new upgrade price WTF! You signed a 2 year contract got a discounted phone in exchange for 24 months @ $$. Now that a new phone of the same model comes out and you think your somehow justified in being upset? That's like walking into AT&T and demanding them to sell you a Blackberry for discounted price two months into your contract for the discounted price...They aren't going to do it. Just because the upgraded iPhone is something we all want is no reason to start stealing and pissing on AT&T!

Kevin

2. The General macrumors 601

Hello,

We pay $30/mo for unlimited data. When we tether, we are using the same radio to connect to the same cell towers to use the same bandwidth as we would by using Safari on or iPhones.

The speed at which we are capable of downloading and uploading is the same as that of on the iPhone. That's because it is the same exact data connection.

This myth that somehow tethering uses more bandwidth than using the internet on the iPhone needs to stop. If I watch YouTube videos all day long on my iPhone, that will use more data than me surfing the web for half an hour while I wait for the next train.

Tethering doesn't strain the network any more than using your iPhone to surf the web. We are only able to download at a certain rate, because we are limited by the iPhone's hardware and the network's speed. Since we have unlimited data, it doesn't matter how much of it we use.

We are not "stealing" anything. We are merely routing the traffic to our computers so that we may view websites on a bigger screen.

Ted

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Then cap my "unlimited" data plan at 2 GB. Let me decide when and where to use it, and AT&T will actually come out BETTER than now where we all have 5 GB caps.

I'd be fine with that.

Imagine that, everyone wins.

4. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

The only REAL difference to using the data on a tethered computer that might cause it to eat your data more is if let's say you're downloading a few torrents and downloading large files for hours on end, which is a bad idea on a mobile connection.

BUT, having said that, using your computer for your basic web browsing, IM chatting, email ect is NOT going to eat any more data than doing the same sort of things on your iPhone directly.

5. poky macrumors newbie

I think if we all use tethering to "steal" data, it will create a need, and AT&T will start to think about upgrade or add more data towers to fit our need, as a result, more affordable data plan, faster connection will become true in the future.

6. The General macrumors 601

We have already established that the amount of data we eat makes no difference - we pay $30/mo for unlimited data.

And since our connection speed is limited to that which is capable on the iPhone alone, we are not straining the network any more than when I watch a Youtube video on my iPhone.

7. skestes macrumors member

Which *might* be a valid complaint if AT&T didn't see fit to ignore the terms of the contract for some but not others based solely on the principle that "Some are more equal than others."

8. outphase macrumors 65816

Unlimited to AT&T means 5GB :eek:

9. henchosbandito macrumors member

Good thread. Shame the replies missed the point. The whole point in this thread was the frequency at which people use the data service with their phones compared to tethering.

Yes, the reply is correct in saying that the speed of the data download is the same when tethering as when using it on the phone directly, but a majority of people just don't use their phones to surf in as high volumes as people would who may be looking to tether.

Think about it - it would mean people have the opportunity with tethering to use their phone as their primary internet connection. Makes sense - you're already paying for the extortionate iphone contract and may not be able to afford another internet connection. But, people that do this will use more data using a tethered phone than people loading the occasional web page on the phone.

The comment about watching youtube videos all day on your phone is exactly why the fair use clause is included in your contract. People just don't do it. What circumstances are you going to be in when you're on your own with your phone, out of a wifi spot and watch videos constantly? I can already predict ignorant replies with lists of situations where this will happen but this is what we call a NICHE. It is not how the majority of people use their data contracts.

More people using tethering has no effect on network bandwidth. It does however have an effect on how the bandwidth is shared when you have more users tethering a phone. Its the same principle of multiple people using one broadband connection - more people = slower speeds for everyone.

OP - well said. Others... Not so much.

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Then AT&T shouldn't claim it's unlimited.

11. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I would never tether with my iPhone until AT&T officially supports it. But, I would never worry about AT&T somehow losing money because people tether, either.

12. tivoboy macrumors 68030

not exactly

this is not actually true. If one tethers, they could certainly do things like hulu, or slingplayer or any other flash based video streaming for that matter. As well, one can easily download large files using a computer which could use literally orders of magnitude more data than one would/could easily normally use on the iphone. All of these things would use considerably more data than the iphone would either normally, or even when downloading lots of movies (which I don't think is doable over the data connected even)

So, the statement that one wouldn't or isn't going to use more data with a computer connected, IMHO is just not accurate.

13. dagomike macrumors 65816

If you honestly think mobile phone users use the same bandwidth as computer users, you're only fooling yourself to justify your actions.

14. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I would recommend AT&T to come up with a better screening system and catch those who cheat before thinking about raising data plan fee for everyone.

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you really think Web browsing on a PC is no different from a mobile phone, I assume you've never heard of Flash, Hulu, or YouTube HD. These mobile apps for stuff like AP news have stuff scaled down for mobile use because mobile processors can't do stuff as fast. Go to a non-mobile Web site and compare it to the first two iPhones over WiFi and you'll notice.

Therefore, if you're tethered, you're going to more than likely use more data on average than if you're not. This is why it's $30 for a mobile plan, not $60. Yes, $60 is what you get charged for one of those 3G plans from AT&T, Verizon or pretty much anyone.

16. x0lliex macrumors member

Please don't ruin our forum with this garbage!

17. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I'm the customer it doesn't matter if I'm still in contract or not. A happy customer is a happy customer and a sad customer is a sad customer.

Why do you think sports players try to get their deal done early? Because they want a new deal. Aka....i wan't the 3GS iphone for 200 bucks.

I'm sorry but, as much as we whine about the contract and these subsidized prices...then at the end of the day, the customer gets what they want or else they move over to another carrier ala verizon. The fact that if they take out upgrade price, ATT makes 800 additional dollars in the following year and more importantly, makes iphone customers (loyal ones) happy and if they keep buying a phone every year, its just an ADDITIONAL 800 GAURANTEED MONEY!!!! Instead, my upgrade is in December which will make me NOT BUY THE NEW IPHONE, apple won't move new hardware (not as much as last year) and they will need to decide if ATT is worth. In ATT eyes, they are in big trouble. No MMS day one, No tethering including in data plans or at a ridiculous cost and just BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD SERVICE. If Iphone was on T-mobile, verizon, sprint....ATT would be screwed. So what does a 200 dollar drop do:

• Customer stays on an additional year.
    • Customer likes ATT just a little bit better
    • Customer keeps sticking with ATT
    • APPLE sees hardware revenue increase, sticks with ATT

So why don't you guys just open your eyes!. there is more to this than 200 bucks.

18. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Why would AT&T crawl if tethering on the iPhone was allowed in the US? Do you think the iPhone is the only phone that can tether? Do you think that AT&T is the only network that offers the service? Do you think mobile data is different than desktop/notebook data? This thread is an epic fail. :)

19. abarna21 macrumors regular

I think if we all use common sense we will be alright.
    I have tethering enabled on my phone, but i only used once.
    It is good to have it as an emergency situation, but not as a primarily internet source.
    And BTW an iPhone with 2 year contract is over $ 3700. ATT will be happy even some tether.

20. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

That's BS. Since laptops are easier to browse on than the iPhone people will, on average, use more bandwidth on their laptops than they would on their iPhones. This is generally accepted. Additionally, the data plans we bought, while unlimited, are very clearly designated as only being valid on our handsets, not over a tethered connection. Tethering is explicitly not allowed in the terms of use when you agreed to get unlimited data.

You don't think ATT makes capacity decisions for what towers need upgrading or what areas need more towers based on usages in the area? Of course they do, and if a ton of people are tethering (and using more data, on average, because of that) ATT is going to be getting skewed data.

21. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Our Data Plans are ALREADY 30 bucks a month. If it went up any more than the Commision would truly step there $h!t up in saying AT&T is making fixed rates!

22. diabolic macrumors 68000

I'm sure they will, and those caught will come here an whine like babies that tethering should be free since the infrastructure is already there for our data plans. People using more and more bandwidth will only lead to a pay for what you use model on all carriers. Then we'll see even more complainers and too many kids who don't have a clue.

23. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

The OP kinda reminds me of a 2 year-old who's just been told he can't have the cookie until after he eats all of his green beans. :D

Or perhaps a 2 year-old who's just seen his sibling find a way to get into the cookie jar and realized he isn't smart enough to figure it out and get one for himself.

Either way ... a 2 year-old temper tantrum is what comes to mind.

24. eddietr macrumors 6502a

That's exactly right.

I have the $30 data plan on my phone and the $60 laptop connect plan (5GB limit) on my MBP, and my usage on my $60 plan is four times what it is on my phone. And I'll bet that's pretty typical.

I think if people want to tether, then AT&T should offer a $60/month data plan for the iPhone that includes that feature.

25. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yeah people need to be honest. The AT&T pricing for data for the iphone is based on the fact that an iphone can only pull so much data due to the applications it runs. This is why there are so many restrictions on what kinds of apps can use the cellular network.

Using a computer through the phone changes everything. You can pull a ton more data down through a computer than you can on an iphone. It is not even close. You could easily max out your data connection via tethering 24x7 which would be essentially impossible to do with an iphone alone.

That being said, I think the $30 extra we pay per month is a reasonable price. Actual internet bandwidth is relatively cheap in 2009. The cost for AT&T comes in their cellular infrastructure. I would probably be willing to pay $10 or maybe at the most $15 a month more for tethering. That would be almost $50 a month which is border line obscene. AT&T is using data rates to be a massive profit center now and will milk it as long as they can.

I don't want to be milked. I want a reasonable price for reasonable data access.

Like I said, people tethring can use a lot more bandwidth, and the prices for the iphone were based on the limited ability of the phones to consume bandwidth. That is why their wireless program is like $60.00 a month, or twice as much. Still AT&T is going to have to work this one out somehow. Claiming there is no difference between how much bandwidth is used, though, is ignorant.