Please don't taper the 13"/15" rMBP case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Mar 9, 2015.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Now that Apple is doing terraced batteries, my gut feeling is they are going to taper the 13"/15" MBPs on the next major refresh/redesign. Honestly I genuinely hate the wedge shape of the air and the new macbook, a nice rectangular slab of aluminum as seen on the current MBP is so much sexier.

Anyone else prefer the substantial slab of aluminum on the current rMBPs and would prefer them to keep that shape with a fatter battery than make a wedge shape with a terraced battery? Hope I'm not alone.

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I am the opposite actually. I hate the square slab. It made indents in my wrists and was one of several reasons I went back to the MBA. I guess everyone is different. I would go back to the rMBP if it was thinner in the front and sat flat like the MBA does.

3. JakeJLF macrumors member

JakeJLF

me too

I'm with you on this one.

4. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

5. austinpike macrumors 6502

wedge > slab

I begrudgingly got a 2014 15" to replace a dead 17" and it irks me to no end that the form factor is essentially unchanged going on 7 years now.

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

The MBA is also a rectangular slab on the top side with edges, the taper is on the bottom - so I don't see how it makes a difference. I think all edges rounded off would save our wrists, maybe a VW Bug inspired MacBook. :p

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I hatehatehate the Air's form factor and like the MBPs. So I hope they don't taper the next MBP.

8. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

I'm with you OP, slab design mbp is much sexier than the wedge shape.

9. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I hate the wedge design. So uncomfortable if you like to prop your Mac up in bed.

10. ct1211 macrumors 6502

I have given this some thought as I am planning to update my late 2013 13" rMBP. I think the Air line is toast in that it will be left to languish and serve as a very profitable "low end" for Apple. My options now are get the just refreshed 13" or wait for what I think will be dramatic new 13, 15 and maybe 17" Macbook "Pro" models slimmed in the fashion of the new Macpad. slim light close to no bezel designs (similar to new Dell) that will mean they could effectively squeeze a 17" screen into the footprint of the current 15" 15" into 13" and so on. There was no technical reason to update just the 13" rMBP other than to see how mainstream buyers react to that motionless trackpad, "force touch" etc. If I buy the 13 now and they intro a dramatic redesign in October, it may kill my resale.

11. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Slab > wedge. I had a 13" MBA for a few years before the 13" rMBP.

I want a slab and as many non mini sized ports as they can cram into it. No one thought a few years back Apple would ever put a HDMI port into the MBP yet they finally did one. We don't need to be going backwards... the current complement of ports is about right (still miss not having an Ethernet built in though).

12. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Glad to see I'm not alone here.

I'd love to see them keep the rMBP slab (or do a nice redesign keeping the general slab shape since let's face it, as mentioned the MBP hasn't really changed since the first unibody in '08) and load that thing with USB C connectors.

With how small those are, there's no reason there can't be 6 of them on the machine. Alas, this is Apple, so you'll be lucky to have one for charging and two for peripherals though...

My mid-2010 MBP is such an old turd at this point. When I finally do get a new machine, it's going to be glorious, and I hope it's a sexy slab.

13. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

I like that I can use the wedge shape of my Air to cut my pizzas in a pinch.

14. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

I love looking at my sexy rMBP slab, I hate it killing my wrists when typing.

15. alex0002 macrumors 6502

But square slab is better for balancing my coffee cup next to the trackpad.

16. David58117 macrumors 65816

Hm, you know a 15" tapered would be pretty awesome..

It would probably be thinner and lighter, and easier to hold..a quad core in that form factor would be so cool..

17. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

you my friend are very brave I keep liquids 1000s of feet away from my mac lol