Please educate me on which SSD drive to get

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by HyperX13, Sep 21, 2009.

1. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

OK, I posted that the OCZ core 250 SSD is very slow (I am returning it). I then was told to get their Vertex. Researched this and found out Vertex may have issues as well. So I looked at Intel SSD drives, and I find all this stuff on Intel forums about how you have to reset them every 3 months or so.

I have a crucial 256 Gig SSD in my mac book pro, it seems like a great drive. Is this the one I should get for my Mac Pro? What would you guys recommend. The information I find about SSD drives is all over the place.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The newest, 2nd generation, Intel Solid State Drive are definitely worth the price!

They keep their performance level without the fabled Trim command, which is much more important as the Trim command will not function with Mac OS X.

You can read the newest take on it from AnandTech: The SSD Relapse: Understanding and Choosing the Best SSD.

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I too have heard many great things about the intel 2nd gen SSDs. How do you tell if you are looking at a first gen or a second gen though?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The first gen is black, the second gen is silver.

5. GeneralAntilles macrumors member

It's also mentioned in the model numbers on most sites (G2C1 or G5R5). See the end of the model number of Amazon's listing.

Note, Intel's MSRP for the X25-M 80GB G2 is a little over $200, while most sites (due to incredible demand and short supply) list them for over $250 and often over $300.

Unless you really need an SSD right now, it's definitely worth waiting for the prices to trend back down out of the stratosphere. Things can only get cheaper and a month or two of patience should pay off here.

6. 3587 macrumors 6502a

So, since it is nearly impossible to grab a G2 Intel SSD, what would be the next best option that of course is of lesser price? I'm hearing Vertex is pretty good? How does it compare in speed/performance? According to Newegg, it appears that the Vertex is faster, but it isn't? I'm really itching to get an SSD... I want Intel, but I don't want to give Newegg more money than they deserve.