Please enlighten me.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by adonisadonis, Oct 31, 2010.

1. adonisadonis macrumors member

Hello every one. |I am beginning to get interested in photography. can someone explain why some photographer point their DSLR to let say incandescent bulb then recompose to shoot different subject. I have observed these practice in several occasions. comments will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Expelliarmus macrumors newbie

What you've seen was probably try to create silhouette image. You take light reading from the brighter area (behind the subject) and lock camera on that reading (AE-L button) and then recompose. This way subject in the image will show as a silhouette.

4. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Complete shot in the dark but- maybe adjusting the white balance? (not sure whether this is the way to go about it though)

5. Expelliarmus macrumors newbie

You'd do that using one of preset settings or adjusting it manually, using white card.

6. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I find myself focusing on the edge of lightbulbs when having trouble focusing in low light and contrast situations (when the distances to subject and light are are the same)... the bulb has high contrast and make's the AF's job easier with no hunting... works for me :p

Edit: Nice title :p

7. adonisadonis thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, that's very good info. thanks everyone for their comments.

8. apearlman macrumors regular

Ask?

I'm curious too -- never seen someone do this. Have you seen just one photographer do it, or several? You could wait until he has finished shooting, and then ask why.

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

There are a few reasons why one might do that

1) He wants to meter the brighest object in the scene so he can set his exposure tolet it just "blow out". Kind of a "zone system" insired metering technique were he sets the light bulb to "pure white"

2) Maybe it is dark and he needs something to focus on and the light just happens to be the same distance as the subject. He is likely focusing on the fixture and not the bulb itself May younger photographers don't know there is a distance scale on their lens.

10. frankingmachine macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. I am also very passionate about photography and this is such a great start. I was told that in order to become a good photographer, first you have to choose your subject which you think you love the most or something you are interested in.:)