Please explain iMessage with multiple devices

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Melodeath, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I just set up my iPhone 6 last night, but I left my 5s (still iOS7) turned on, on wifi. Everything is working great with the 6, but at some point there was a pop-up on the 5s saying it was configured for iMessage with my email. All my iMessages and texts seem to be coming properly to my 6, but this pop-up on the 5s was mysterious, probably bc this is the firdt time I've had two iMessage-capable devices at once. Can anyone explain? Will iMessages come to my 6 always unless I specifically send one from my 5s on wifi and someone replies? Thanks

2. dotme macrumors 6502a

The pop up on the 5s was alerting you that another device is now ALSO receiving your iMessages. It's a good thing... Letting you know in case you weren't the one setting up that new device. So it's all good.

3. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

So I have iMessages working on 3 of my apple devices, Mac, iPad, iPhone. Say I get a text on my iPhone but I'm sitting at my computer and I just answer my text there. It will clear the text from the lock screen on my iPad and iPhone. It also will be where I receive the message first now. Messages will be slightly delayed to my iPhone or iPad, if I answer on my iPhone then the other two devices will get the texts delayed so you don't have 3 devices going off at once.

4. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply! Makes sense, however, if that's the case then why are all of my iMessages only coming to the 6? Wouldnt they come to both devices?

5. dotme macrumors 6502a

Yes, they should - but as the other poster explained, there may be a delay. This is assuming your 5s is still set up to receive iMessages at both phone number and email address...

6. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

5s SIM card was deactivated when I got the 6, but it's still on wifi, and under settings still has my email and phone number (though I get "No Service") under iMessage settings. It's not receiving any texts/iMessages