Please feedback to apple if you want Aluminum MacBooks!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bluedoggiant, Mar 7, 2008.

?

Would you like an Aluminum MacBook

1. Yes in silver and black

25 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. no, i like plastic

39 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. yes, in assorted colors

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. yes in assorted colors with a black keyboard (like MBA)

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. yes in silver and black with a black keyboard (like MBA)

25 vote(s)
    24.3%
  1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Well, I'm one of the people who REALLY want an aluminum MacBook, so maybe if we keep on feedbacking to apple, they will release it in some sort of way, like silver and black like the classic, I think it would be neat, and maybe apple could get more money out of it if they make assorted colors, but if they make it classic colors silver and black, the silver MacBook is mine. and if it happens, i bet the keyboard will be black like the MBA!! thats what i want :p. if you want anything like that, please feedback to apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Maybe so, and I'll definitely help. On the other hand, they could just swat us away like flies.

However, having the MB looking classier than the Pro just wouldn't do, would it?

3. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I really want aluminum MacBooks too but I don't think they will ever come out. MacBooks are for ppl who are always on the go (i.e college students) and they need the hard polycarbonate shell to withstand the damage of everyday life.

4. christopher3071 macrumors regular

Tell you what, I'm wishing my macbook wasn't made of this 'polycarbonate'. It's not handling the usage well. Chipping here and there, case just cracked this week where along the edge closest to the trackpad when closed. I'd take aluminum dents over plastic cracks and chips any day.

5. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

The same thing happened to me about two months ago. If it is still under warranty, take it to the Apple store and they will fix it for free. Took Apple all of a day to get my MacBook back to me.

6. connoisseur macrumors member

I saw a dented up macbook pro it wasn't pretty
    I'm pretty carefull when it comes to laptops

7. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Yeah, the dented aluminum look just does not do it for me. Also, if you're trying to convert someone, they'd ask "Why are macs so great if they're so susceptible to dents?"

8. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Well i just did it too. it cant hurt so why not and i really would LOVE to see the Mb go ALU.

9. Sage Harupyuia macrumors member

on the same note, anything released by Apple in aluminum usually costs a bomb.

*coughMacbookProcoughMacbookAircoughiMaccoughMacProcoughPowerbook*

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

This has been talked about to death.

I wanted one - but decided not to wait anymore...

I'm expecting it to be like the MacBook Air, but with a thicker bottom (share the same top screen part). Use common parts to help lower manufacturing costs.

11. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

The iMac price just went up $200 for so much more and a bigger screen.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

How about this?

MBP --> 13, 15 and 17 inch models. Each model would have two versions.

MBA --> 13 and 15 inch models.

MB --> drop the line.

13. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Yeah, I think the whole point of the MB is to have a cheaper Mac laptop...if they make it aluminum the price will jack and then it'll just be too close to the MBP to be a separate laptop. Keep it the way it is and the price stays down for those who don't want to pay so much for a Mac.

14. Sage Harupyuia macrumors member

i will wreck havoc on Apple if they EVER do that.

Besides, you are missing the point of consumer lvl and professional lvl.

Dont assume that everyone wants Macs with a dedicated gpu. (i personally dislike dedicated gpus, they drive the cost so much higher, especially when i have completely no use for it since i am in journalism school.)

and not everybody has the money to pay the insane premium for a MBP. in my country, the base MBP costs $3000+, while the base Macbook is only $1600+. Price does matter.

The Macbook Air is meant to be small and lightweight. It will NOT replace the Macbook lineup. No one in their right mind will purchase a much more expensive Air which is grossly underpowered with much poorer storage capabilities compared to the entry lvl Macbook. Not to mention that it is heat inefficient as well: when you shrink a processor size down some 60%, its never going to be as efficient as the actual full-sized processor.

15. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Is anyone giving feedback? I mean if you really want it to happen, you have to advertise it and pursuade people to feedback to apple and ask for an aluminum case. And if you are on other mac forums, ask there too.

16. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I actually did reply to Apple after reading ur post yesterday. I really want some aluminum macbooks so I can buy my first Mac !!!!!

17. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Metal MacBooks would be sweet! It would match up with the rest of Apple's product line not to mention it would be even more eco-friendly. :)

18. Jpoon macrumors 6502

It'd be nice to have the aluminum Macbooks, but I really don't see the point.

The aluminum finish is sorta reserved for the Pro line because they're professional computers. Professionals need a sleek finish while college students carrying around a regular day to day laptop don't need that.

I don't think the wear and tear compares between the aluminum and the plastic. Aluminum doesn't scratch as easily, but it dents.

The plastic scratches easier, but instead of denting it cracks lol.

That's a nice difference eh? Just take good care of your 1000 USD$ + machine.
    Is it really that hard to take an extra two seconds of precaution to make sure that you're not going to toss your investment around?

I've been carrying my white macbook around for a month now. It just has some of the usual tiny scratches that are only visible in the light, but other than that, looks brand new. Keep it in the case, and be cautious lol

19. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

While we're at it, how about polycarbonate MacBook Pros? I'd much rather have the MB enclosure than this flimsy aluminum shell on my MBP.

20. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

This is actually no longer true. with imac going Alu. and the Mac mini already alu.I think its just a matter of time before the Mb get their new Aluminum skin too!

21. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I would rather have dents than scratches, and, :eek:cracks. And my dad's MBP, 1 1/2 years old doesnt have any dents.

WOW. lol, the point of this thread is opposing that, but, feedback if you want, but i want my aluminum macbook!!!

22. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

aluminum will block wifi signals therefore more problems with connectivity. atleat upgrade the wifi antenna if you are going to make it aluminum.

23. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I would really love it if there was an aluminium 13" MacBook (well I would of if it came out before I bought my current one).

The MacBook Pros just seem to be of a much higher build quality, yes I know they cost more so they should be, but after one month of having it and taking it to college everyday, my MacBook has a slightly warped case, a slightly misaligned hinge, and a mushy trackpad button. :(

Anyway, I am almost certain that the next 13" MacBook will be aluminium, because Steve Jobs has already said that Apple is moving away from plastic, for environmental reasons. Apple is clearly moving away from white for anything other than accessories, so the MacBook will likely be the last white plastic Mac for a long time.

24. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

Maybe the next update, it will come sooner or later.

25. n1ght macrumors member

Aluminum MacBooks would be really nice.

However, if Apple goes all aluminum, then:
    - the MBP gets the black blacklit keyboard (like the Air)
    - the MB is silver aluminum with the white keyboard (like the iMac)

I'd like to see a two-model Alu MacBook line at $1199 and $1399. (No more color to justify 3 models.)

Then, the MBA's price drops to $1699. This would distance it more from the MBP and position it perfectly in the middle of the two lines.