iPhone 11 Pro Please give some recommendation to me

MavisMavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2020
Recently, i got a chance to upgade to a new phone. I am a iphone 6s user.
For now, we can only choose Iphone 11 pro (oled) or iphone 11 (lcd)
Personally, i prefer a small size and lcd color calibration.

Here is the conflict to me:
Firstly, I like the size of iphone 11 pro than iphone 11. Iphone 11 is way to big to a small hand user like me. Iphone 11 pro's screen size are more suitable for me personally.

Secondly, i think the oled screen of iphone 11 pro are too "vivid" to me. When i go to Apple store to try, i feel it is too colourful and not natural at all when i compare to my iphone 6s. At the same time, i am not comfortable with the oled screem. A little bit tried for eyes and some tears come out. When i look back to iphone 11 screen, it is comfortable for me to look at, just like holding my old iphone 6s, but the size is different.

Afterward, i go back to home and search the reddit. i found that a group of people have similar situation like me. It seems the Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) of oled screem give them eyes strain. I don't encounter similar issue when i using my iphone 6s. Oled screen seems give headache and poor vistion to those who use oled iphone. I want to keep my eyes stay health and stay away from those eyes issue. So, Im afraid I'm just gong to keep ruining my eyes by using oled iphone.

I am also concern about the phone's durability. I really want a phone that can last for around 3-4 years as my iphone 6s do. I hear Oled screen have the chance to get burn in. Just the mater of time.(i see the Burn in issue on my friend's Samsung S8 and he use it around 2-3 years). lcd seems technically mature than oled and keep the same screen quality (no burn in) than Oled do, less chance or no chance to get burn in issue. Burn in issue is so annoying for me, i am so scary my personal phone do the same things to me.

I just want a pleasant experience in next 3-4 years, i don't care to pay extra money to get a more suitable phone for myself. I just scary that i pay more dollar to buy a not suitable one.

Is it good to give a try to new oled iphone? If iphone 11 pro do not work well to me and i just sell it to buy a iphone 11?

Or i directly to choose safety one : iphone 11 for myself? Just force myself to use a big phone. Adjust my habbit

Or i wait the SE2 come out patiently? I hear some rumour that it will annount at March of 2020 or the end of 2020. SE2 seems like a small phone with Lcd screen.

Sorry for that long and thanks for your time the see my concern

arfbsantoso

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2019

Firstly, I like the size of iphone 11 pro than iphone 11. Iphone 11 is way to big to a small hand user like me. Iphone 11 pro's screen size are more suitable for me personally.

Secondly, i think the oled screen of iphone 11 pro are too "vivid" to me. When i go to Apple store to try, i feel it is too colourful and not natural at all when i compare to my iphone 6s. At the same time, i am not comfortable with the oled screem. A little bit tried for eyes and some tears come out. When i look back to iphone 11 screen, it is comfortable for me to look at, just like holding my old iphone 6s, but the size is different.

Afterward, i go back to home and search the reddit. i found that a group of people have similar situation like me. It seems the Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) of oled screem give them eyes strain. I don't encounter similar issue when i using my iphone 6s. Oled screen seems give headache and poor vistion to those who use oled iphone. I want to keep my eyes stay health and stay away from those eyes issue. So, Im afraid I'm just gong to keep ruining my eyes by using oled iphone.

I am also concern about the phone's durability. I really want a phone that can last for around 3-4 years as my iphone 6s do. I hear Oled screen have the chance to get burn in. Just the mater of time.(i see the Burn in issue on my friend's Samsung S8 and he use it around 2-3 years). lcd seems technically mature than oled and keep the same screen quality (no burn in) than Oled do, less chance or no chance to get burn in issue. Burn in issue is so annoying for me, i am so scary my personal phone do the same things to me.

I just want a pleasant experience in next 3-4 years, i don't care to pay extra money to get a more suitable phone for myself. I just scary that i pay more dollar to buy a not suitable one.

Is it good to give a try to new oled iphone? If iphone 11 pro do not work well to me and i just sell it to buy a iphone 11?

Or i directly to choose safety one : iphone 11 for myself? Just force myself to use a big phone. Adjust my habbit

Or i wait the SE2 come out patiently? I hear some rumour that it will annount at March of 2020 or the end of 2020. SE2 seems like a small phone with Lcd screen.

Wait for SE2

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
Wait for iPhone 9 or SE2 or whatever it will be called. It's probably 2 months away from being released.

Best part: you'll pay 1/3 the price of iPhone 11 Pro.

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
it's very common to become hypersensitive about anything just by being concerned about it. In your case, the flickering of the OLED screen is giving you concern (and it should). You'll always be on the alert for any eye strain or headache symptoms no matter how insignificant, and it'll always be in the back of your mind that maybe the flickering of the OLED screen isn't the best for your health (it's not).
You'll be relaxed & happy with the LCD screen. You'll always be on the alert and second guessing with the OLED screen (and likely rubbing your irritated eyes).

Personally- I can't be within visual distance of any Apple OLED screen even peripherally. The flickering is too irritating to me.

MavisMavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2020
it's very common to become hypersensitive about anything just by being concerned about it. In your case, the flickering of the OLED screen is giving you concern (and it should). You'll always be on the alert for any eye strain or headache symptoms no matter how insignificant, and it'll always be in the back of your mind that maybe the flickering of the OLED screen isn't the best for your health (it's not).
You'll be relaxed & happy with the LCD screen. You'll always be on the alert and second guessing with the OLED screen (and likely rubbing your irritated eyes).

Personally- I can't be within visual distance of any Apple OLED screen even peripherally. The flickering is too irritating to me.
So, which phone do you use right now ?

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)

After reading your post, i would suggest you to buy an iPhone 11.
OLED are not for everyone (I don’t like it too, and I own an iPhone 11 Pro) and if you suffer from eyes strain you should avoid it.

iPhone 11 is a great product, it will last 4 years and it has a great display.

SE2 will be a vastly inferior product.
- - Post merged: - -

Wait for iPhone 9 or SE2 or whatever it will be called. It's probably 2 months away from being released.

Worst part: it will be a much worse product.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2015
Live my LCD 11. Don’t like Apples OLED, but am fine with the AMOLED Galaxy S10 which I turned the resolution down to HD+

I’ll be sad if there is no LCD in future models. The fact that we can’t change display resolution is another one of those choiceless decisions Apple makes for us.

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2015
Wait for SE2

And what if the SE2 doesn't appear for 2 years or more? Apple hasn't got a spectacular track record in being release timely at the lower end and have made people wait excessively in the past… look at the recent iPad mini 5. While the rumours are rife I don't actually see any hard evidence of it… no renders, no case designs. Kuo's been quite wrong before and to be frank, I don't see how Apple wants to given how it'll affect iPhone 11 sales.

Burebista

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
Geez, people.

Yes, the SE 2 will appear. Everyone and their dog knows it at this point. They even recently announced a Night Mode competition “coincidentally” due to end in March. I’m pretty positive it’s part of the marketing campaign so they’ll show you on stage how you can now do this for 399$.

No, it won’t be a “vastly inferior product” somehow. Apple simply doesn’t release “vastly inferior” phones.

And no, it won’t affect 11 sales. Well maybe a bit, but it’s all calculated and the house always wins. There’s plenty to distinguish between the models - number of caneras, screen to body ratio, biometric identification etc - for those who care about that.

Finally- OP, never buy what doesn’t feel absolutely right for you, cause you’ll likely regret it. Wait till March event, if the SE 2 doesn’t sway you- there are smaller premium models in the pipeline coming out starting this fall.

MavisMavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2020
After reading your post, i would suggest you to buy an iPhone 11.
OLED are not for everyone (I don’t like it too, and I own an iPhone 11 Pro) and if you suffer from eyes strain you should avoid it.

iPhone 11 is a great product, it will last 4 years and it has a great display.

SE2 will be a vastly inferior product.
- - Post merged: - -

Worst part: it will be a much worse product.
Which part you don't like about 11 pro ? Is the oled display?

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
And what if the SE2 doesn't appear for 2 years or more? Apple hasn't got a spectacular track record in being release timely at the lower end and have made people wait excessively in the past… look at the recent iPad mini 5. While the rumours are rife I don't actually see any hard evidence of it… no renders, no case designs. Kuo's been quite wrong before and to be frank, I don't see how Apple wants to given how it'll affect iPhone 11 sales.
Nonsense. You’re wrong. Stop scaring people with misinformation.

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2015
Nonsense. You’re wrong. Stop scaring people with misinformation.
Sure… but I'm not the one making bets of "misinformation" based on what is on MacRumors. And FWIW, I gave up on and stopped waiting for an SE2 in September 2018. Which was 2 phones ago… granted the 1st of those phones got sold and moved on within around 8 months but still, 2 phones.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
My daughter had a 7 for years and wanted the 11 pro because she was afraid to go any bigger. She had the same mindset as you about the size. She ended up getting the iPhone 11 and she absolutely loves it. It took her maybe one day to adjust to the size. The iPhone 11 is a great upgrade from a 6s. Plus, if you are thinking of trading in the 6s towards a new phone, it will probably be the last year to be able to do it.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I was turned off to Oled when some Samsung phones gave me headaches when I tried them out. However I decided to give the Xs max a chance and have no issues. Ymmv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.