PLEASE HELP: 13" MBP and Final Cut

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Oetam, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Oetam macrumors newbie

I ordered a new base model 13" MBP earlier today.
    I'm a filmmaker and Final Cut Pro is the most important application I use.

The FCP requirements say: "ATI or NVIDIA graphics processor (integrated Intel graphics processors not supported)".

Does this mean I WON'T BE ABLE to use FCP with the Intel HD 3000?
    This doesn't make sense at all, isn't this an upgrade? A 'Pro' notebook?
    Every other Mac supports FCP so this is really strange.

Should I cancel my order? Or do you think FCP will support this new version of the Intel graphics?

Please help me out.

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Lets bet Steve Jobs testicles on whether it works or not. If it doesn't work regardless of whether they patch it in a day or two it is still a fail.

3. axu539 macrumors 6502a

1. FCP is going to be updated soon. It might add support for the HD 3000's as they're actually acceptable this time. (the Arrandale IGPs just sucked).

2. Why are you doing FCP work on a 13"? That work is processor intensive, and you'd much benefit from a larger screen anyway. The 15" or 17" would've been a much better choice for those tasks.

4. Oetam thread starter macrumors newbie

They better patch it, there's no way I'm waiting for FCP 8 that might take a few months.

I know a 13" isn't ideal for video but I'm 16 and not exactly rich so I can't really spend more than €1149 which took me like 1.5 year to save up. I need a laptop so I can bring it to shoots and roughly edit on location AND I hate Windows so the 13" is my only option.

I currently use a 2007 2.0Ghz iMac and it works 'okay'. I'll also hook it up to an external monitor so I think a i5 13" will be an improvement... IF THEY SUPPORT THE HD 3000.

5. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

I think this is one of those things where they list it as "not supported" just so you can't blame them if it doesn't perform well. I don't think it will prevent you from installing or using Final Cut Pro, but the performance may not be up to Apple's standards to consider it "supported." I think if it wouldn't work at all they would list it as "not compatible."

6. Oetam thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, they've specifically listed it as 'not supported'.

7. Oetam thread starter macrumors newbie

A guy on DVXuser just told me:

"That has been the disclaimer for about four years, IIRC, and the system specs are for the whole suite, not just FCP. FCP has very low GPU overhead while Motion and Color rely extensively on the GPU which skews the specs in that regard. It was nicer when Apple listed all the specs for the apps in the suite individually."

I hope he's right. I think I won't cancel the order for now.