Please Help! 13 vs. 15 Touch Bar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theturtle, Nov 19, 2016.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Bought a 13" touch bar model (8gb variant). After a day of using it, I'm hitting the 8gb wall pretty frequently. The 16gb 256 isn't in stock locally and would have to order it. If I go that route I would have to wait 4-5 weeks. All the stores near me does have the base 15" in stock which has 16gb in ram.

What do I do? I would be spending 600 more for another 8gb and instant gratification. To be fair though I would also be getting a bigger screen and more power. My concern is how big the laptop is the weight. I liked the 13" for the size and weight and if I go to the 15" then I would be gaining almost a pound.

Any help?

2. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

The weight isn't all that noticeable IMO. The extra screen real estate is really nice but it is a much more cumbersome device. If the price difference doesn't bother you, the 15" is more capable but you will sacrifice the form factor of the 13". I had been back and forth between the two since the price difference of the 13" configured to my liking was close to the price of the base 15". Really recommend getting your hands on them in person before you the make the decision.

Even though it's just a 2" difference, it really does feel substantial in many ways- good and bad

3. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

The 15" is nice and more powerful. If portability is more important than performance then I would stick with the 13". Otherwise, order the 15" and return the 13" up until the Apple holiday grace period in January. You should have the 15" by then.

4. StoneCold X macrumors regular

Did you ask the employees at your local store if they had a 13" with 16GB in stock? It didn't show in stock online for me so I got the 13" with 8GB. When I went to the store to pick up my order, and they had a 16GB in stock but it had other upgrades as well. I exchanged the one I ordered for it.

Now I am trying to adjust going from an older 15" MBP to this new 13" one. I am going to use it for a little while and then decide if I want to go back to 15"

5. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

If you have 8gb ram, you will be using up 8gb ram. If you get the 16gb ram model, the same thing will happen. The way the OS works, it will use RAM as long as there is some available. You could have 64gb and still exhibit the same behaviour.

What you need to look at, is the memory pressure graph. Is that is all green, then you don't need more RAM.

If you enjoy battery life, stick with non-touch 13" imo. I would wait a year or two before jumping on the touch-bar models, too many issues.

6. Nitefly macrumors newbie