Please help: 2008 Unibody Macbook screw driver

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by paran, Mar 14, 2010.

1. paran macrumors newbie

Hi, I bought a new harddrive to upgrade my macbook's old hard drive to a new one over the spring break. I tried to unscrew the screw on the black plastic retaining bar, but I unfortunately failed to do so: even worse, the screw is completely stripped now! :( :( :(
    Since the screw is so small, I don't think I can use any of the "Easy Out" kind of unscrewing stripped screw tools... or can I? Wouldn't I damage the retaining bar? What should I do?
    Please help me... please! :'(

2. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

if you have a fresh 00 screw driver maybe try hitting the top of the screw driver while spinning left. iv used this method before on other things and its worked. but its not always full proof.

3. paran thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, but wouldn't that damage the retaining bar/hard drive? :confused:

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You can get one HERE. Looks like you get the extra screws for your Hard Drive as a bonus.

Looks like they're out of stock right now but they usually have them.

There might be other places to get tis as well if you search.

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I like my Xcelite 175M for rotating and/or ripping out screws that are threaded at the top after someone used the improper type of screwdriver. It works everytime.

6. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

these little screws do strip easy. let me know what you end up getting/doing to fix it for future reference. apple should make better screws. i got an external enclosure for my old hd and it came with screws the same size but the philips indents were much deeper and a lot harder to strip. i wish apple would make ones like those.

7. paran thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! Will definitely keep this in my mind in case the retaining bar/screws get damaged.

Thanks! I should give that a try and see if it works; wish me luck! :D

I still have no idea what to do at this point... but I will try couple options and see what I can do. If someone else has a better idea, please let me know!
    And I will post once this problem is resolved. :)

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i had stripped one of those as well. pissed me off

i used needle nose pliers to untwist the screw luckily