Please Help! 2016 MBP15 With "Phantom" Keyboard/Trackpad Activity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnturbo, Feb 20, 2017.

1. johnturbo macrumors newbie

I just bought a new 2016 MacBook Pro 15" with Touchbar. It's the 2.7ghz model.

I'm experiencing some strange activity...

I'll be trying to type an email in Gmail, or filling out a form on another site, or typing in an app and then all of a sudden it will JUMP and close out that window or jump to another window. Often I am typing an email in gmail and it just jumps out of that draft and back to the inbox. I'm not clicking anything but just typing.

I keep the palm of my lefthand anchored left of the trackpad and towards the FN/CONTROL/OPTION keys (but at least an inch away from them). I've noticed sometimes that I'll hear that repeated tone when you hold a key down too long (like it queues up a lot of key presses) and it seems like it's coming from my left hand (that's not touching anything).

I'm not sure if my touchpad sensitive is too high or it's some other software that might need to be updated? Or my worst fear... that it's some sort of hardware issue.

Would appreciate any help in trying to diagnose (and fix) this annoying issue.

Thank you!

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I'd exchange it while you're in the window. There have been a number of similar reports, and the answer for Apple seems to have been to replace the machine (or repair it, if out of the return window).

Best of luck!

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

If you have tap to click enabled in trackpad preferences, you might try disabling it, but the part about the tone sounds more like a keyboard thing. Strange, and not something I've seen reported before.