Please help a mom out....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tl01, Aug 1, 2015.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

My son plays Real Racing 3. He just came to me and wants to use some program to "hack" it to get more gold. He said he didn't know that he needed gold for the car he wanted to buy and he saved up money instead? From an ethics and legal stand point...this would be inappropriate right? I told him he can do something around the house to earn the money to buy the gold. Just trying to make sure I understand the situation and the options and that I am explaining to him why this isn't appropriate ethically.

2. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Any app that does that should be avoided at any time. It's usually a bogus app that costs money and doesn't do jack. Besides, can't he earn in-game gold by doing in-game objectives? No need to spend real money on in-game currency just because you can get it quicker. It's the same with the dreaded Candy Crush games: either wait a day for more lives or buy them now and continue. People choosing the 2nd option should re-evaluate their priorities in life in my opinion.

3. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

His response is that it would take him a year to earn the amount of money or gold or whatever that he wants. We are trying to explain that there are two ways to make money and that is to play or to pay which is how a developer makes money for making their game. This is one of those life long learning experiences and I just wanted to be sure that we are being fair and clear.

4. JonnyBlaze macrumors regular

Sounds like you've got it spot on. To get the gold, one either puts the time in, or pays the fee. It is one of those lessons to learn as you say.
    The ethics of using systems like that in a game is a different subject, but sounds to me like your correct that using the 'hack' isn't ethically right. I don't know enough to about law to say if it's legally ok or not, but I doubt it.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yes your 100% right. Unfortunately your son is also right. Some developers are pirates that want to rob you blind and put in unobtainable goals so your inclined to spend money.

6. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

To be fair to the developer, the user doesn't NEED the car in order for the application to function. I'm not categorically opposed to freemium games...sometimes I am inclined to make such a purchase, not because I wanted the coins or gems or whatever, but because I wanted to compensate the developer for making a truly great game, and putting in the time and effort. It sounds like in this case, the developer has done just that, and is not deceiving ther user per se. After all, these guys and gals need to put food on the table, just like the rest of us. I am compensated when I rock up to work everyday...

As for the op, you've hit the nail on the head. By hacking the game, you will likely be violating apples terms of service, as well as potentially other local regulations, depending on your jurisdiction.

7. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Don't worry, I used this hack myself and there is no harm, and your son is right, the amount of time to earn that gold is equivalent to the time when a new big bang is going to happen.

8. af21187 macrumors 6502

Seconded. The "hack" is most likely a jailbreak with an In-App purchase cracker installed. I've used it, and honestly, when you have all the gold in the world to spend on that game, the game immediately becomes boring.

9. laudern macrumors 6502a

If you want to teach him a real lesson, teach him real gamers game on a pc or console. Tablets and phones are for suckers.

10. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I went through this with my daughter and myself. We both got addicted to iPad games with in app purchases required to make them exist at a tolerable pace or to get limited time offers and started spending real money because it was just a few dollars here and there to help our dragons or farms along. I realized this was just not what I wanted to be doing with my time or money or how I thought I should be encouraging my daughter to spend her time or money, either.

We agreed to quit playing those games except casually. When she wants to kill time when I'm busy she reads or plays Nintendo handheld games that don't slowly bleed us dry. She has a few puzzle games and iPad games she still plays that don't require in app purchases to remain compelling.

I will use cheat codes for some games like the PC version of Sims because those are built into the game and part of the game that developers themselves often let you know exist. I won't use hacks for ethical reasons. If the developer is being unreasonable with the in app purchases being needed to make the game appealing I abandon the game as a bad deal all around. I applaud you for thinking this through. I am sick and tired of the pay as you play business model that can steer you into addictive behavior and prefer paying upfront for a game that stands alone well enough.

11. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

This isn't 2010. Now, there are a lot of complex games on tablets and smartphones that can go toe-to-toe with a portable console. There's even hardcore wargames like Panzer Campaigns from John Tiller Software. I'd much rather buy my future kids smartphones, tablets, and PCs than consoles, just as my father did with me.

They have their place and people like them, but Consoles are more rubbish than anything else. At least the kid will already be familiar with devices professionals use everyday than some console that only plays games.

Also I don't get this idea of 'real' gamers. If candy crush is by definition a 'game', then that means even the person who only plays candy crush all day is a 'real' gamer.

12. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

He had an X Box One but hardly uses it. I am not going to dictate which games he plays and long as the content is appropriate. Also, you can't bring the XBox with you like you can an iPad.

13. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Or he can just...you know...read a book.:rolleyes:

14. hojx macrumors 6502

hojx

He's probably talking about jailbreaking and using an in-app purchase crack…

This seems more like a parenthood thread though. Not sure how old he is but you can explain to him that the gold in the game is equivalent to something being sold in a shop. To "hack" to obtain gold will be equivalent to stealing.

In a shop, the shop-owner may price something exorbitantly but you can always choose not to buy. If you really want it, you can always slowly save and wait for promotions. This applies to the game too, from time to time the developer may have discounts on in-app gold.

Since you are fine with him doing some work around the house to earn it, I think you are sort of well, a "cool mum". Most moms would never allow their kids to spend money on something virtual like this. I say there's no harm to just a dollar now and then. It can even be an incentive for him to say, lay off the soda and chips.

15. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

People like to say this, but really there's no point in doing it if you don't enjoy it. Believe me, I've tried reading books just for the sake of reading books. I didn't enjoy it too much and I felt like I was wasting my time. That isn't say I don't enjoy reading, but it has to be manuals, reports, etc which is great since I'm an Engineering Major. I could enjoy reading an entire report on a bus route integration study for city to plan bus routes around a new metro line coming to the city, since I love transportation. Reading a novel or biography? No chance.

When I was younger I only read books because schools made you. Plus, I was always several grades higher on those stupid reading tests anyway. However, I never felt any pressure to read beyond that from my parents. Learning how use and build computers from my father was far more fun and useful.

Not to go off on a tangent, but I hear this phrase a lot.

16. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I said it more like a joke, I know how you feel, I am 19 and reading only one page of a book makes me blow my brains out. On the other hand, reading news, technical stuff is pleasant, plus, I will start studying in an engineering school in a month so good bye novels and theatre scripts :D

17. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Who said he doesn't read? ;). He reads plenty.

18. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I used to play real racing 3 and it is true that earning gold is time consuming and tedious. However, there are ways to "bend" the rules to get gold that do not require a hack. EA had done a good job closing the loopholes, and they may be all gone as I haven't played in months.

Best bet would be for him to join the message forum on MyRealRacing and lurk for a bit. Look up terms like "delorean, santas gift, welcome back kotter" to see if those tricks still work. They probably have new ones as well.

Ft