Please help a new macbook pro owner.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snf122, Jul 1, 2008.

1. snf122 macrumors newbie

This is my first mac, and I was just wondering if there is a need to get firewall/internet security software.

2. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

I have never used a third party security app and have never had a problem. You can go into the security panel of the system preferences and click on the firewall button at the top to play around with the settings on the firewall built into leopard.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I just use the built-in firewall and no antivirus programs. No viruses on Macs. The firewall in Mac OS X seems to do just fine.

4. MasonS247 macrumors newbie

you dont need a firewall. they are highly overrated

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Built in is fine.

If you wish, you can get LittleSnitch from www.obdev.at It's a cool program that is kinda the opposite of a firewall in that it lets you know when programs try to "phone home" though I used to use it religiously, I've noticed I have found myself not using it anymore.

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

If you are connecting to a router, it uses "NAT" translation. You can keep your firewall on the Mac off. Just make sure you set (for the wireless on the router) some type of Password encrytion (WEP 128Bit, WPA, WPA2 Personal) and change the default password of the router.

7. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I think it is a good idea to have the firewall always on.

The built-in FreeBSD firewall (ipfw) is more than fine for a good security level. The only problem is that MacOS provides ridiculous rules for configuring it. Writing by hand the rules you desire is difficult and error-prone.

I suggest you to download and install a graphical interface for managing ipfw's set of rules. These two are quite good:
    1) WaterRoof
    2) Flying Buttress

There are others.

thistle

8. !on macrumors member

most routers have firewall so that's usually fine, if it's wifi then set up the security on it, obviously include enable password so people in your locality can't get into your internet.

treat 3g dongles the same as if you're browsing on a mobile phone.