Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Hi all, I am thinking to upgrade to the new 15" 2.3GHz rMBP with 16GB ram. I am a gamer and currently playing Diablo 3, I've read this game plays amazing on the new rMBP, but I am still concerned:

1) how good other games will do on this laptop?
2) do I need the 2.6GHz model? I do graphic design and some web design.
3) will I be able to upgrade from 256GB flash storage to 512GB on the 2.3GHz rMBP?
4) been searching for websites that does not charge tax, but no luck... Is there any out there?

TIA guys!

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Hi all, I am thinking to upgrade to the new 15" 2.3GHz rMBP with 16GB ram. I am a gamer and currently playing Diablo 3, I've read this game plays amazing on the new rMBP, but I am still concerned:

3) will I be able to upgrade from 256GB flash storage to 512GB on the 2.3GHz rMBP?
4) been searching for websites that does not charge tax, but no luck... Is there any out there?

TIA guys!

most games will probably play way better in windows. if you're buying this mainly for gaming, i'd have to say thats an incredibly stupid idea and a huge waste of $. and no you don't need the 2.6ghz for graphic design and some web design.

currently, no you cannot upgrade it yourself.

tomtom2234

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2010
New Orleans

3)will I be able to upgrade from 256GB flash storage to 512GB on the 2.3GHz rMBP?
Correction, the SSD is not upgradable.

TIA guys!

Hello there!

1) this game will play most current games and future games just fine. A lot of them will play on high setting as long as you lower the resolution down from the max. (the max res is way too high for almost any mobile GPU to handle).

2) EDIT: Actually, the SSD is not upgradable after purchase, sorry.

3) I think you can change the SSD yourself on the MBPR (not 100% sure). Thought I heard that you could though.

4) Macmall.com doesn't charge sales tax I believe. Also, Amazon.com does not either. (Although you are suppose to actually pay those taxes later on...) If you are a student check out the Apple student discount. For the MBPR it is $300 (200 off the top and a $100 gift card!)

Last edited:

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
most games will probably play way better in windows. if you're buying this mainly for gaming, i'd have to say thats an incredibly stupid idea and a huge waste of $. and no you don't need the 2.6ghz for graphic design and some web design.

currently, no you cannot upgrade it yourself.
Ya I agree windows would be a much better choice.

Hello there!

1) this game will play most current games and future games just fine. A lot of them will play on high setting as long as you lower the resolution down from the max. (the max res is way too high for almost any mobile GPU to handle).

2) EDIT: Actually, the SSD is not upgradable after purchase, sorry.

3) I think you can change the SSD yourself on the MBPR (not 100% sure). Thought I heard that you could though.

4) Macmall.com doesn't charge sales tax I believe. Also, Amazon.com does not either. (Although you are suppose to actually pay those taxes later on...) If you are a student check out the Apple student discount. For the MBPR it is $300 (200 off the top and a $100 gift card!)

I talked to Macmall, they are about $80 cheaper than apple.com but still charges tax shipped to NY :(
good to know the student discount for the MBPR is $300 + the $100 is nice!

Thanks all !

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
if you're gaming on your macbook, then stick with a regular pro instead. retina mbp is new technology, and will most likely choke on the native resolution, even under windows.

tomtom2234

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2010
New Orleans
Ya I agree windows would be a much better choice.

I talked to Macmall, they are about $80 cheaper than apple.com but still charges tax shipped to NY :(
good to know the student discount for the MBPR is $300 + the $100 is nice!

Thanks all !

Pft, just bootcamp any games you want ! :)
Yeah, certain states force the vendor to take the taxes out for them. I can see this happening in all states before long.

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Man... it's still a hard decision... I guess I'll wait out for a bit :(

icewing

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
St Louis
I got the one in my sig, runs Diablo III great (when plugged in). I use it on my lap on a wooden cutting board for air circulation, runs great and doesn't overheat or slow down. Put the white power block somewhere where it gets plenty of air or it can get HOT! :eek:

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
I got the one in my sig, runs Diablo III great (when plugged in). I use it on my lap on a wooden cutting board for air circulation, runs great and doesn't overheat or slow down. Put the white power block somewhere where it gets plenty of air or it can get HOT! :eek:

Yeah, you got the high-res antiglare version of the rMBP :rolleyes:

Aodhan

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
if you're gaming on your macbook, then stick with a regular pro instead. retina mbp is new technology, and will most likely choke on the native resolution, even under windows.

Agreed. I play Diablo III and World of Warcraft as well, and I went with the non-retina because for games, no matter what virtual resolution you are using, the graphics card is still having to drive 2880x1800 pixels. That is too much to ask of a GPU you plan to use for gaming.

You'd be better off with the non-retina, either the 1440x900 or the high res would work just fine for gaming.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Agreed. I play Diablo III and World of Warcraft as well, and I went with the non-retina because for games, no matter what virtual resolution you are using, the graphics card is still having to drive 2880x1800 pixels. That is too much to ask of a GPU you plan to use for gaming.

You'd be better off with the non-retina, either the 1440x900 or the high res would work just fine for gaming.

That's not true. It is true for using the OSX desktop in one of the "Look like..." modes, but when you're in a full screen game and set the resolution, that's the actual resolution that the GPU should drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.