Please help a noob with the upgrade...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tsl90, Oct 26, 2007.

1. tsl90 macrumors member

Background:
    New to Mac, MBP 3mo old
    I have new iWork and iLife disks to upgrade
    Not a ton of downloaded software and can easily reload what I need
    I don't care about saving all my preferences as I like to play with them and figure it will be a good way to get to know Leopard.

Plan:
    Leaning toward a Erase and Install
    Kind of like the idea of starting fresh.

I don't plan to restore my Applications folder. I'm just going to install iWork and iLife and redownload things as I need them.

iCal - I've backed up the file and assume I can restore this.
    Address Book - as iCal
    iTunes - I've copied the iTunes folder onto my Ext HD. Do I just move the contents into the music folder or the Library - or both??
    iPhoto - Same as I tunes
    Mail - Can I just copy the Mail folder from the Library?

Wouldn't mind restoring the info to connect to my wireless network, but not sure how to do that.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

TL

2. mashinhead macrumors 68020

if you don't care about your settings and such i would just do an erase and install. I don't know how you have ical and address book backed up but .mac is one of the easiest ways to to that and restore settings like that. even if you don't like .mac there is a 60 trial which you can take advantage of just for this and cancel your subscription. since your computer is so new if you don't have a lot of junk or old 3rd party apps on there that might conflict with leopard archive and install should work fine too.

3. tsl90 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Yes - erase and install is what I've planned.

iCal and Address Book have a backup command under the File tab which creates a file. I assume I can restore from this file once I've installed Leopard. Please someone hit me over the head if that's not true.

Any ideas on iTunes/iPhoto/Mail?

Thanks

TL

4. mashinhead macrumors 68020

itunes and iphoto are easy if you have an external drive. just copy the music and pictures folders from your user/home folder and put them in the same place after you install. mail you can try copying the mail folder from the users/library/ folder but i'm not sure how well that works.

if you don't have an external i hear that leopard can make a partition on the fly without having to transfer info. you can do this by installing and booting from the cd and opening disk utility and partitioning and moving those files there until after the install. but i would get a second opinion on that as i don't know how that feature will play out using a leopard cd with an tiger hd installation.

5. tsl90 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again - sounds like this will work the way I want.

Anyone up for a second opinion?

TL

6. tsl90 thread starter macrumors member