Please help, about Apple warranty and OS upgrade??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iSayuSay, May 21, 2011.

1. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Okay, so I preordered a CTO iMac with Thunderbolt(the newly 2011 refreshed iMac)

In my country, there is no official Apple Store, but we have Apple Premium Reseller here. I ordered my CTO iMac with i7 and some other upgrades. But they promised me to wait my iMac for around 4 till 6 weeks for it to be delivered, what a painful weeks :(

How would Apple start the warranty when a Mac is ordered just like in my case? The reseller ordered my CTO soon, maybe Apple would response and ship my order soon too, but when is the warranty started?

Considering it´s quite a long time since they ship it and I get my hands on them?

And again, I want to ask about Lion. According to history, which Mac products eligible for upgrade discount to the new OS? New macs purchased after the release date of new OS? Or some weeks before?

Say my iMac is arrived early June, maybe 10th or 15th, and IF Lion is announced at WWDC, do I still eligible for upgrade discount? Since I did the order about 10th May, but I´ll have my Mac around 10th June

How´s your saying?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Historically free upgrades have been offered to anyone who ordered a new Mac after the shipping date has been announced. Ordered: not delivered. As no shipping date has been announced you will have to pay.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Generally speaking, AppleCare, as well as mostly-free OS updates, start counting "from the time of your purchase," whether that's from Apple or another retailer. Here's the document for AppleCare:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HE59

I could be mistaken on this, but the actual purchase doesn't technically happen until the item ships from Apple, as they don't charge your credit card until that point.

In your case, since there's a middle man, I'm not quite sure what date would get counted; I would expect that it would be the date the middle man actually charges you (which would be the date on the invoice, as described in the document I linked above), but you might have to go through Apple's procedure for warranty start date updates (they have such a procedure for situations in which their automatic warranty start date system isn't showing the correct date).

If there was an abnormally long time between paying and actually getting the device, you really should be entitled to at least have the warranty start later, so you might actually call AppleCare if there's any problem getting the warranty start date changed to something reasonable.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I always get my iMacs from my local Apple Premium Reseller because it is the equivalent and effectively the same as buying direct from Apple. So, as far as Apple is concerned, your purchase date is as quoted on your invoice from the Apple Reseller.