Please help! Accessing to iPhone's Address Book

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by persianjk, Oct 18, 2011.

1. persianjk macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I am trying to build a new app for iPhone. The most important thing that I really need to start this app is to be able to use the Address Book of the phone in the App. All I could find was how to create a new address book and add contacts into it.
    Please help me because I'm new in xCode and this forum as well.

----------

One app that has this option is Viber. it's for Voip calls and texting.

2. persianjk thread starter macrumors newbie

Does this show the contact list of the phone in the app or it's for creating a contact list database and adding/editing/... in the app.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Did you even read the Introduction, especially the first bullet in the second point list?

4. persianjk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I did. I also went through the tutorial and have half of it on xCode, but this seems to be a creation of a Address book framework and add new contacts into it.
    Sorry, I'm new in objective C.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Go through the entire QuickStart tutorial (which is rather outdated if you're using Xcode 4.2 and ARC). Do all of it in Xcode, in a separate project.

This is not at all what the tutorial is teaching or doing. It explains how to use the Address Book frameworks to bring up a people picker and then populate two labels with the selected person's first and last name. If you run this app in the Simulator and its Contacts database is empty, you're not going to see any contacts in the picker. If that's not what you are seeing, then you, at least, should probably provide the code you are using and maybe some screenshots of what you are seeing.

So, I will ask: what have you done to learn the fundamentals of Objective-C and iOS programming?

6. persianjk thread starter macrumors newbie

I started with "Objective-C: Visual QuickStart Guide" for Objective C and then for xCode I read "Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK".

About the Address Book Guide for iOS, As I mentioned earlier I need to have the Address book of the phone in the App. To understand what I need to have try installing Viber. It's free and it's for texting and calling over 3G/Wifi.

I really appreciate your time.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The advice given to you above points to the documents you need to do what you describe. You need to take the time to read and understand them.

8. persianjk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You all for your help and advices.
    I will start reading and writing these codes and see if I can create what I have in my mind.