Please Help/advice !! Buying a LCD-HDTV tonight.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by skiesforme, Apr 2, 2008.

1. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Hi guys,

I have finally decided to take the plunge and buy a LCD-HDTV. After some research and a visit to the local Bestbuy store, me and my gf both seemed to like the picture quality/color depth/look/response time(for fast frames) of the Samsung models. We checked out the Sony KDL models as well but somehow Sony didn't seem to respond that well to fast frame changes and we could see a slight stutter in the video. I hope you understand what I mean...

After checking out cnet reviews and Amazon bestsellers, I have narrowed down my selection to :

1> Samsung LNT4665F 46" 1080p LCD HDTV for $1799 (DVD player free)
    2> Samsung LN46A550P 46-inch 1080p LCD HDTV for $1699 - Amazon suggests this is the newer model of the LNT4665 series.
    3> Samsung LNT4661F 46-inch 1080p LCD HDTV for $1689.

As you can see I am pretty headed for getting a Samsung (I might be biased from what I saw).
    I would greatly appreciate any suggestions/alternatives and reviews from owners.

Secondly, is buying from Amazon a wise decision ? I have a local Bestbuy store which has these models at higher prices (+$200 ~ $300) and I would also end up paying CA Sales Tax :(

P.S: perhaps I need to convince myself thoroughly before I go for it.:p

2. shvartsies macrumors regular

Definitely the 4665. Beautiful TV with a high contrast ratio, great features, awesome sound, and most importantly, GREAT picture.

I have the 4669, GREAT tv. you WILL not go wrong with the 4665.
    I bought from amazon, delivery was four days, they came in, hooked it up for me, made sure everything worked, I didn't do a thing.

That was standard shipping.

I'm not sure, but i believe best buy has a deal where if you can bring them proof that the TV sells for less somewhere else, they'll charge you the same.

3. skiesforme thread starter macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Thanks a lot :)
    You said you have the 4669F - Is it a variant(upgraded) on the 4665 ?
    I called up BestBuy and asked them if they can price-match online quotes. They said they only do so for local sellers. :eek:
    One more question, Amazon suggest that the LN46A550P is a newer model for the 4665 series. Did you get a chance to see this model. Any suggestions on that?

4. shvartsies macrumors regular

that actually wasn't a typo, I do have the 4669.
    However, I did extensive research, and if not for the matte screen, 20000:1 contrast ratio, 5 HDMI ports, I DEFINITELY would have bought the 4665. this features are NOT nessecary for a casual person that just wants to watch some movies and tv, hook up a game system, etc.
    remember, my model costs $2550 when i bought it, and $2400 now.
    i have that money, if i didn't i would buy the 4665 hands down.

you won't be mistaken, the visual difference between the two sets isn't even noticeable unless spending hours analyzing.

as for this other model, theres not much info on amazon, and since it costs less, i doubt that even if it is a revision of the 4665, that newer means better.

THEN, there is this alternative: If a 40" is not too small, you might want to look into the 4069f. ;D

5. skiesforme thread starter macrumors 6502

skiesforme

:p I edited my typo post after checking your profile :p
    This sounds great, "you won't be mistaken, the visual difference between the two sets isn't even noticeable unless spending hours analyzing. "
    So yeah, I won't need more than 2 HDMI ports and all I would be using with the TV is a DVD player, Playstation II, MBP and MB.
    We (me and my gf) are tempted to go for the 46"... although a 40" won't be that small since we sit about 8-10' from the TV.... but you know.. bigger is better :D

6. shvartsies macrumors regular

you sound like you're ready to step into the wonderful world of HD.

if i were you I would go to a best buy or other electronics store and try to compare the 69 and 65 and 61 to make sure you're getting what you want.

Bigger is better indeed, but you might find (as I did) that too big can be too big for your room.

how big is ur standard def TV?

7. skiesforme thread starter macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Yeah, this would be my 1st HDTV :D
    I have a Sony Wega 32" now, it's a friggin 180 lbs box but I won't deny that the Wega has served me well.
    I would go to bestbuy again (now) to compare the models. Let's see hwo ti turns out.

Thanks so much for all the valuable advice and suggestions ! :)

8. shvartsies macrumors regular

you're very welcome, let me know what you thought when you get back. :D

9. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Sony and Samsung built an LCD factory in Mexico. All the same screens etc. A waste of money to buy the Sony. I have a 32" Samsung and it has the best picture!

Amazon has a no shipping cost on returns, nit sure about LCD/TV's though.

10. shvartsies macrumors regular

samsung and sony both use the same panels, the difference is the technology.

doesn't matter, hes already said hes buying a samsung.
    one thing i forgot to mention, im PRETTY sure the 65 has it, 120hz automotion plus technology. It takes the picture and adds an extra frame in between the native frames to produce an extremely crisp, non-stutter, motion. GREAT for action movies and sports.

If you've found a problem with your tv or if you bought it less than two weeks ago, im pretty sure return shipping is free.

11. chriswheat macrumors regular

I have a 4665, too. I'd say it's definitely worth the money. No doubt one of the best TVs in this price range. The sound is great, the interface is easy to use, and the picture is without a doubt the best I've ever seen.

You will not be disappointed with this TV. The glossy screen makes blacks look amazing. I have it mounted on a wall perpendicular to a set of large (and I mean large) sliding glass doors. The sun can really come through those doors and I have never had a problem with seeing anything on the glossy screen. And when you turn off the lights, it's amazing. The blacks look like real blacks, and the colors are amazing. You'll definitely want to adjust the image settings from the factory settings, especially if you want to save some energy.

12. skiesforme thread starter macrumors 6502

skiesforme

I don't think either the 65F or the 550P has 120 Hz rendering...

13. skiesforme thread starter macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Great to hear all those responses from you guys !!

I am back after an hour of comparisons at Bestbuy. We loved the display of the LNT4066F (there were two side by side and the calibrated one looked outstanding!!). So here's the deal, although we loved the 40" LNT4066F, we still want to go for a 46". So what's the logical conclusion?
    LNT4665F ?! Wait, here's the problem - There was a LNT4065F on display (mounted at about 8-9 feet) and the display quality did not seem to be "as good as" the LNT4066F. I dunno if there is a 4666F around (a 46" 65F model). Now here's the tricky part. Circuitcity, Bestbuy and Amazon all claim that the LN46A550 is the successor of the LNT4665F and is supposedly better (double the contrast ratio and better color depth but no 120 Hz).

What should I do now. 46A550 is 100$ less than the 4665F and is the so called upgrade of the 4665F, but I did not get to see one yet on display for a side-by-side comparison and no online reviews on it yet. But surprisingly, the 46A550 is Rank #2 on Amazon HDTV Bestsellers.
    What should I do guys ??
    Should I go for the 46A550(have not seen one on display yet) ? OR stick with the 4665F (which I believe is 95% of the 4065F in my personal rating)
    Please help me in my decision.
    Thanks a ton in advance.

14. ugamac macrumors newbie

I am the manager of the TV department at a Circuit City. The ln46a550 is the successor to the lnt4665. Neither of these have 120 hz. To get that you have to get the lntxx69 series, the lntxx71 series, or the new lnxxa650 series. If you have anymore questions about anything TV related feel free to ask. --Stephen

15. skiesforme thread starter macrumors 6502

skiesforme

I bit the Bullet !

After endless brainstorming and thought process I finally ordered the LN46550P for $1740 from Amazon. :D
    My review and decision was based on slickdeals forum where some people reported about the A550P. As ugamac said, none of these have 120 Hz which according to many users gives an artificial animation like smoothening. So I do not regret a lack of 120 Hz. I am happy that I got 5 ms response time and this should definitely make a difference. What say ?
    The crux of my decision was based on:
    Model: =======4666F <==== vs. ====> 46A550P
    Response time: --- 8 ms ---------- vs. ---------- 5 ms
    Contrast ratio: -- 15000:1 --------- vs. --------- 30000:1
    Price: ------------ $1799 ----------- vs. --------- $1743(deal)

More factors favoring 46A550P:
    * DNIe™ The Samsung Digital Natural Image engine. This exclusive Samsung technology dramatically improves the picture by enhancing the contrast, detail,white balance and reduces.

* Entertainment Mode allows customized picture settings, optimized
    for different content (e.g., sports, movies, gaming).

* Side panels are slimmer by about 3" :rolleyes:

So... I would be sleepless till the moment my new baby arrives. :D
    Thanks so much for all the valuable suggestions guys !

16. ugamac macrumors newbie

You got a superb television. You will not be dissapointed. I've seen this TV in action on both regular HD and Blu-ray and the colors are phenominal.

17. shvartsies macrumors regular

hmmm

yes I see that the tv you ordered is probably better than the 65, however, I just can't understand why its cheaper.

if I were you I would call Best Buy and ask, because if its better, why would it be cheaper?

anyway, CHEERS, it sounds like you bought a superb tv.

18. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Samsung LCD's are absolutely the way to go!!! I have 3 of them and just got one for the mother in law last night..The only other lcd's that are even worthy of consideration are the sony's and sharp Aquos..

I haven't had much luck with Sony TV's in the past (though my brother swears by them) so I eliminated them for personal reasons..

The Aquos are overpriced and there's a pretty strong argument being formed about their lifespan.. I'm sure there's people that are going to tell me they've had one for years.. I don't doubt it.. I also know that every single place I talked to that sold both said Samsung is the way to go for this very reason, and I have a buddy who has 4 Sharps that are all getting replaced as a result of this.. It may not be scientific enough for some- that's fine, I understand..But it's good enough for me..

I've got one more room to finish in the next couple weeks, and you guessed it- it's getting a Samsung flat screen.. I have been considering plasma, but in the end I'm sure I'll go with the Samsung LCD..

I also agree about the 120HZ looking weird for some reason.. I don't regret not getting it either.. But then again, I see no difference between my 26" 720P in the kitchen and the 46" 1020P in the basement, so maybe I'm just not looking hard enough..

Congratulations on an excellent purchase..

19. shvartsies macrumors regular

The 120hz does make it look a bit animated, but only in a slow moving regular tv show. in an action movie or football game, for example, its very nice.

samsungs are def my #1.

the reason you don't see a difference is because the smaller screen size doesn't need that resolution, it WILL look almost the same as a 40" 1080p. However, you WOULD see a difference between a 26" 720 and a 46" 720.
    This is the reason the smallest 1080p sets are 40"+ (except for some sharps, simply for commercial reasons for people who just want the branding "1080p")

20. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

what actually gets broadcasted in 1080P at the moment?

Put 2 46" tv's side by side and I prefer 720P to 1080i- without a doubt.. Not sure I'd spend the big bucks just because something has a consonant at the end of it unless I could take advantage of it right now.. I realize 1080P is future proof, but is it worth that much more when things are only being broadcasted in 1080i at the moment? I'm not sure it is..

21. skiesforme thread starter macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Great to hear that ugamac. You make me feel so relieved an happy about my decision !!
    Thanks shvartsies :D
    About the new one being cheap ? - It might be because cost of electronic components has gone down a bit and also a competitive pricing strategy from Samsung. All to my delight !

You must be a rich guy jemeinc. Man, you got so many TV's and planning for one more. Cheers !! :cool:

Now for my part (I got more news) :-

Thanks a lot guys !!
    All of you have been of great help in my decision and I am a happy man !!:D
    What makes me more Happy ?! The price of the 46550P on Amazon.com was $1551 when I started thinking about it 30 hrs ago. By the time I reached the local bestbuy, it had gone up to $1743 shipped.:eek:
    I thought this thing is selling like hot cakes... it's not gonna come down that easy... so I placed my order for $1743 knowing that I have Amazon's 30 day post purchase price guarantee which would refund me the difference if the price falls. That's what happened. I just got a refund of $44 !! (= a nice glass stand for my new baby)

:apple: But... there is one more thing.... :apple: :D
    The 32" Wega I had costed me $220 and the seller threw in a ton of new and old cables (he worked for Comcast) including composite, component, S-video and a 50 ft co-axial with it. I just sold that TV (I keep the cables :p) and have a 180$ check in front of me. So I ended up paying $40 for the Wega and I had used it since Sep 07. Yoooohoooooooooooooo !!

Loooong 5-7 days before I get my new baby... She's in Reno, NV now... on a truck headed 630 miles south to meet me. Drive the truck faster people !!

22. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

<"You must be a rich guy jemeinc. Man, you got so many TV's and planning for one more. Cheers !! ">

LOL.. nahhh, not hardly.. I didn't pay for the mother in laws- just picked it out, did the haggling in the store and mounted it to the wall for her.. We're slowly remodeling the house and we're onto the bedroom now, so that's where the one we're planning on getting next is going.. slowly, but surely, we're moving along..

I wish I was rich though, that way I wouldn't have to save so long and research so much for this stuff..

;-)

23. skiesforme thread starter macrumors 6502

skiesforme

But isn't it sweet to research and assure oneself that what we buy is the best. Its some kinda sweet satisfaction... you know what I'm saying... you feel content at the end of the day... :)

24. pcuser2 macrumors member

Personally I think the Samsung LNT4665F is better.

25. skiesforme thread starter macrumors 6502

skiesforme

And what's the basis of your decision ? Have you seen them both side by side ? Compared the specs ?
    Our friend ugamac here(posts above) is a manager at Circuit City and has hands on experience of both. It would be good to know what is the reason for 550P being inferior than 4665F. (Ofcourse, 4665F is one of the best I have seen)