Please help Airport Express to a SMC Router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jettabambino, Feb 11, 2011.

1. jettabambino macrumors newbie

Ok, so a quick disclaimer.... when it comes to computers/networks i am about as dumb as they come... I rate my knowledge about a 3 out of 10.

I recently switched to Shaw as my Internet provider. They threw in a free rental of a wireless gateway of a SMC Router. Long story short is my home has 3 levels and the signal is very weak in part of the home. I have looked at different signal repeaters and was told from the guy in the store that the Airport Express is a good one. He did give me the disclaimer that its a little tough to set up but worth the pain.........

so i went to the apple site and they said it will only work with a airport extreme as a repeater. But google says there is a way around it. The only issue is I cant figure it out.

My ask is .... Can i get someone to dumb this down for me... I dont mind sending you something for a token of my appreciation if it works.... I need you to make this simple with a step by step instruction. I asked shaw to help me and of course they said they dont service aftermarket parts.... apple wont do jack for me either..... If you can help i would love it...

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you're talking about a hack, then you can ignore me, but if you want to use an Express to "join an existing network" said network needs to be created by either another Express or an Extreme. You basically need an Apple wireless product on both ends.

If you have 2 products, then your problem has a very easy solution:

* turn off Shaw wireless function
    * place 1st Apple product by Shaw modem, bridge mode, create a wireless network
    * place 2nd Apple product where you want it, join existing network

3. jettabambino, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

jettabambino thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm

So can I pick up another Shaw modem and go

Shaw non wireless to airport express to another airport express.

I see a ton of them on craigslist so I figure why not

I bought a new one for 100 bucks but they have brand new in box for 60

Does anyone know the hack for it first. Is it tougher than the dude at the store led me to believe??

4. dvh13 macrumors newbie

About a year ago I tried to do almost exactly what you described, and I wasted about a week's worth of free time trying to get it to work. After my week of failed attempts I just went out and bought another airport express, and it has worked flawlessly ever since.
    I just did a quick search looking for some tips on how to do it, and while it looks to possible, it is not straightforward. Considering your self-appraised tech level I would recommend buying another airport device. The airport extreme is more expensive, but it has the added feature of being able to share usb hard drives over the network. Two airport expresses will also work. Using the setup described by jenzjen you should be up and running in no time.

5. jettabambino thread starter macrumors newbie

Step by step?

I would of thought that someone would of made a step by step tutorial on it