Please help, Airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gmbaker44, Sep 27, 2013.

1. gmbaker44 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just received a new airport extreme. I got it setup which was easy on my iphone. Now I just need to setup the MAC address with my ISP. Which MAC address do I use. In Airport Utility i used the ethernet one and its not working and still wants me to set it up. THe ISP is no help bc they are telling me it must be a wrong MAC address.

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

What other box do you have between the AE and the wire/cable that connects to the ISP ? The AE doesn't have a Modem in it - you need a Modem to connect to the ISP.

e.g. I have a Telco ISP that does ADSL2, so I had a Draytek Vigor ADSL2 modem between my AE and the ISP wire. Then I upgraded to VDSL2 (same ISP) and now I have a Sagem F@st3464 in bridge mode instead of the Vigor.

3. gmbaker44 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont have a modem bc I live in a condo and the modems are in a data room for each floor. Before my setup was just a router and that didnt change. It just keeps asking me to register my MAC address but I have tried that and it seems to think it is not a valid MAC address. Im not sure if Im doing it right. I have tried the ARP -A in the command prompt and it gives me a different MAC address than what it gives in Airport Utility. I am on Windows until my iMac comes.

4. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

What settings did you use before you switched to the AE ? If you still have the old Router, have you switched back and verified that it still works ? If it still works, then it "should" be very easy just to reuse the settings on the AE. What was the Router ?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The MAC address from that hardware screen in Airport Util is the WAN MAC address you need. Make sure you are using the one for ethernet and not the wifi one.

I am confused. Normally your ISP does not need to know or care about your MAC address. The modem (cable modem?) upon startup will automatically recognize the new MAC address and just work. Ordinarily, when installing a new router like the Airport Extreme you need to reboot the cable modem to it recognizes the new MAC address. It sounds like that is what you need to do.

So you are saying there is a modem (cable/DSL?) in a closet for each unit? I don't see how multiple users can share a modem unless there is a router in there handling it.

Can you explain more about this setup?

6. Alrescha macrumors 68020

MAC addresses are made up of hexadecimal digits: 0-9 and A-F, normally separated by colons (except on Windows). If you're typing the letter O somewhere (or I or L) then your MAC address would be invalid.

A.

7. gmbaker44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replys

I finally figured out the problem. When I did the setup for the airport extreme it automatically setup in bridge mode. It needed to be setup in DHCP and NAT to broadcast my internet connection.

8. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

This is odd since the AE is supposed to know what the right setup is supposed to be !