Please HELP - AT&T billing - FAN Discounts - Questions!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OriginalMasta, Jun 9, 2009.

1. OriginalMasta macrumors member

Ok, so here is my problem that I have to ask some of you whether it is fair or not. I already know the answer because most of you AT&T fans will claim that's how the world spins. I don't agree and here's my bill:

case: I have a 3 line family deal ($59.99 for two lines, $9.99 additional line). This was what was promised or "lied" to me before I signed up for AT&T coming from TMobile. After my 30 days, of course the bill came and it never was promised what was sold to me. I have a discount as well (25%) but to find out how it works now after all the at&t "magic" spun around my face, I realize it's a real rip.

The discount is suppose to be applied to SERVICES AND FEATURES. Let's get the following info down:

1) first two lines under the $59.99 are iPhone 3G phones. So:
    Line 1 = $30 data plan, Line 2 = $30 data plan. Also attached to line one is a $30 unlimited family text plan.

2) The discount is applied to the $59.99 plan + each data plan. BUT here is the kicker. AT&T bills it as $50 for the first line, so we get 25% off $50 which comes to $37.50. The 9.99 DOES NOT GET the 25% discount!

3) Each data plan gets it's own 25% off discount so it's $22.50 each.

4) Found out now after having this for 11 months that my family unlimited texting doesn't get discounted. OK, fine, I'll buy that.

Here is what's ****ed up; taking account for ONLY the first line here. How would you apply discounts? Let's say you shop at best buy. You get a 10% off coupon. Do you apply the 10% to the $100 item you buy, then you tax the remainder? I'm confused to how the taxes work and I just think it's really not a discount because if you factor in the taxes and other federal/city charges, you don't really get a 25% discount at all.

(see the bill below):
    [​IMG]

If you see the bill above, you have the:

$50 (first line) + $30 data plan + $30 fam. unlimited texting plan = $110.

Then you get TAXED/Reg/City/Federal'ed up the arse @$110. BUT the discount is applied to $50 (first line), $30 (data), which comes to $20 discount as noted in the National Account Discount. But this doesn't make it right though; you TAX/SURCHARGE ME @$110 FIRST - then you apply the discount of 25% at the $50, $30 respectively. When you subtract this $20 total credit off of the surcharges, I don't get 25% discount. BUT you bill my employer the difference!!!!?:mad:

Can someone please give me hindsight to why this is so? I was expecting $50 (w/discount) = $37.50
    $30 (w/discount) = $22.50
    $30 (w/o discount) = $30.00
    Total for line one = $90.00

THEN you tax that amount. When I got to the store and buy a shirt that has been discounted from MSRP, they don't tax me on the original MSRP then apply the discounted difference!!! How the fccuk does AT&T get away with this?

2. saDeRmac macrumors regular

Some companies have an agreement with AT&T that states that certain features are included in the discount. Even so the primary line is the only line that gets discounted. There have been some incidents that even though the FAN did not state you were eligible for feature discounts the system erred and has since been corrected. Taxes are based upon the original price of the plan because thats how communications taxes are billed unfortunately. If you have any questions about your service I will be happy to answer them to you in a PM.

3. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

So technically, if i pay for a $199 unlimited everything plan with my 25% discount, I am technically going to be paying $199 + TAXES FIRST, BEFORE the 25% is taken off?

This entire teleco tax issue is just outrageous. that's just like going to a dept. store buying a sweater ($100) that is marked 50% off the tag, but when u get rung up, you get taxed @$100 first, before you get the 50% off - this is just ridiculous.

thanks for your answer but some people need to look into how this shady business is milking consumers for more than they are suppose to.:mad:

4. aerospace macrumors 6502a

Att has to pay taxes for the full cost, their not taking the difference and pocketing it. As far as I know all employee discounts work this way whether at a phone company, or if you work retail and get a discount. Uncle Sam still wants his full tax amount no matter what you end up paying.

Has nothing to do with ATT.

Thanks btw for reminding me of corporate discounts, I'm trying to justify getting a 3gs and just remembered my company gets a 15% discount on att. WOO!!

5. spick macrumors member

That's how it works, it's the same like rebates in sales which has been long criticized. Uncle Sam wants your money buddy.

6. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

son of a bich!

With all this tax collection from the US GOVT. You'd think the USA would NOT be in a huge deficit. More than one person is obviously pocketing the money!!!:mad:

7. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

You obviously don't understand how taxes work. ;)

8. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I just redeemed a 10% off coupon at Best Buy last night. They calculated the sales tax on the full amount, then subtracted 10% from the item price.

Oh, and at least in this case, it has nothing to do with the US Government. Sales taxes are a state and city matter. Same for at least most of the taxes on my AT&T bill. Blame away, but aim at the right target.

9. saDeRmac macrumors regular

There is no discount for unlimited rate plans.

10. saDeRmac macrumors regular

Most of the fees are federal, sales tax is not really an issue as there is no sale. There are certain locals and/or states that do not have sales taxes yet there is still a significant amount of taxes on telecommunications bills...