Please help! Attempted to fix screen blackout, now computer won't boot at all

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spacebetty, Apr 23, 2013.

1. spacebetty, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013

spacebetty macrumors newbie

My MacBook PrO running Snow Leopard started having display issues this morning, screen flickering then half black then all black. It was only the screen because if i shined a flashlight on it, i could still see the content and things working. Rebooted, still the same.

THEN i see a bunch of suggestions online to turn off computer, unplug AC adapter, remove battery, press and hold power button for 5 sec, then reinstall battery, reconnect power, and turn on. I did this and now my computer won't boot up at all! When i press power button it makes the startup chime repeatedly and that's it :(

It won't start in safe mode either.

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

3. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Sounds like a straightforward bring it in to Apple for repair scenario :(

4. spacebetty thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't know year, the model # is a1229. it says copyright 2007.

----------

can't afford to :(

5. Bear macrumors G3

This is a piece of failed hardware. Bring it to an Apple store. Once you hear the price of the repair, you may decide it is time to upgrade. Then again it may be a reasonable cost to repair.

6. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Looks like your 8600M just kicked the budget. Translation: new primary logic board time.

Take it to Apple, see if they'll take pity on you even though the repair program concluded last year. If not, better start looking at the current lineup, because you're going to need a new computer.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :<

7. spacebetty thread starter macrumors newbie

omg I'm gonna cry. thanks for the prompt responses, y'all.

8. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Seriously, call Apple, the failure rate on that year/model was 99.99% and it's amazing that it's made it this long. If you haven't had a previous repair (and especially if you had AppleCare on the computer) they will sometimes waive the repair fee for that particular issue.

9. spacebetty thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, which particular issue? At the Apple store yesterday they guessed it was a failed logic board.

They can send it out for repair and for a flat fee of $310, everything they find that needs to be fixed will be. Sounds like a great deal, but if i could get them to do something for free that would of course be better :)

10. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Since you say you can still see the images with a flashlight, it could simply be the LCD backlight that's busted too.

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Most likely you will have to settle for the $310.

The 8600M GT had a production issue. As a consequence Apple decided to offer free repairs for affected laptops out of warranty, but only for machines less than 4 years old. All remaining machines with that GPU are now older than 4 years old. There is a small chance that an Apple store employee will waive the repair fee for this well known problem, but it is not guaranteed.

12. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Sorry-- graphics card failure. It happened to every computer with the 8600M graphics chip, Apple or otherwise, and there was a big hullabaloo and a class-action lawsuit that resulted in the computers with that issue being fixed... for a time. There was a deadline to act on that and if I recall it expired last year.

If that turns out to be the issue, it might not hurt to put on your best smile and bring up the repair program, but don't count on anything. $310 isn't horrible anyway.