Please help! .avi on mbp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by daniel-shi, Jul 22, 2012.

1. daniel-shi macrumors member

ok so guys this has been driving me nuts lately. i have a mbp, mid 2010, with lion (10.7.4).

I got it in 2010 when it was the current model, and then when i tried to play .avi files, it said get a codec. so i got perian. when i tried to play it, it did open the file. BUT stopped the audio after 1-2 seconds, and seemed generally buggy. pn: that the video was fine. i can't remember how i fixed it, but it worked. then a week ago i restored my computer from scratch. and its having this same problem. can anyone help me?!
    tyia

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I would download either MplayerX (free on either the MAS or from their website), or VLC. Then try and play it in either of those programs.

3. daniel-shi thread starter macrumors member

is there any way to fix this problem? i don't really want to use other programs :confused: i just want to use quicktime

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

VLC is just as easy to use as Quicktime. You could also try the Movist application. Both VLC and Movist play a wider variety of files than Quicktime, and both are very easy, free solutions to your problem.

5. daniel-shi thread starter macrumors member

movist isn't free, i don't think. if it is could you post me a link to a download?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Google "Movist."

7. xpipe macrumors regular

Any of the three alternatives mentioned are fabulous. I use all three (not so much Movist anymore).

It's OK not to use QuickTime ;)