Please help (beachball, hard drive mount point issue?)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by McPaul, Oct 23, 2008.

1. McPaul macrumors member

Please help (I'll be quick):
    • recently significant beachballs
    • safari and firefox
    • force quit only option to remedy
    • restart computer works but after several minutes problem persists
    • I'm not sure how to run activity monitor, have set it to show all processes and update very frequently, but nothing ever shows up on the processes window.
    • ran disk utility a few times, doesn't help. verify disk: everything looks fine, repair permissions returns "Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
      " but doesn't fix them, as these errors appear again next time I repair permissions. (actually, this time when I ran disk utility to get a copy of the error messages, only one error appeared. previously, I received 3 errors. )
    • I have noticed something weird, in that the hard drive mount point is not mounted to a specific point any longer. I don't know what the default was, but the mount point in disk utility is simply "/" and the mount button is greyed out. computer is just more than a year old, no apple care. last years 15" tricked out MBP.

Anyone have any suggestions please?

thanks.

2. McPaul thread starter macrumors member

Here are all the errors that wont be fixed when doing repair permissions:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Group differs on "private/etc/cups", should be 0, group is 26.

Permissions differ on "private/var/spool/cups/cache/rss", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x .

How might I rectify this? it's all greek to me. Thanks!