Please Help: best way to run windows 7 and Parallels

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PAC88, Apr 21, 2010.

1. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I'm really confused about the best way for running W7 through Paralles 5. All I need to run on windows is a forex trading platform.

I've read that you get better performance if you install the virtual machine onto a separate disk.. So I'm wondering is it even possible to install windows through bootcamp + parallels onto an Express Card SSD and run it off of that?

Or would I be best just installing it all onto the local disk drive using a separate partition for bootcamp? I'm new to running virtual machines so don't really know how it all works or the best route to go. I'm trying to decide between 13" macbook pro using separate partition on disk or a MBP with express card slot.. Also, I'm assuming the SD Card is too slow for this?

2. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I'd just install Parallels and Win 7 on your OSX partition. There may be some small advantage to putting the spawn of Redmond on a different disk but unless your forex program doesn't play well on a partitioned disk (not likely) I doubt you would see any advantage. Your best bet would be to see if this program runs well in virtualization. If it does just go the OSX/Parallels/Windows on the same disk and don't bother with bootcamp. Why reboot if you don't have too?

3. ExcelonGT macrumors regular

just curious, which forex platform do you use?

4. PAC88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Forex Trader Pro & MBT Desktop. I know they have the new web based options but I haven't tried them.. I probably wouldn't need win 7 at all though if the web versions work as well as the software.

I have one more quick question for anyone that knows.. If I ending up getting a MBP with 9400m + 9600gt, will it let you use the 9400m when you run Parallels? And with the new models, does anyone know which gpu the MBP will use for Parallels 5

5. Arie macrumors member

A virtual machine uses virtual hardware, so it will not use any graphics card directly. The graphics will be basic and outputted via the Intel HD I believe. Boot Camp does directly use the graphics card and the nVidia is used.

6. ExcelonGT macrumors regular

I actually work for Forex.com
    You should try out the new web based trading site. Took us over a year to launch it ;)