PLEASE HELP! Booting mac from external hard drive!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sayhitokyle, Feb 12, 2011.

1. sayhitokyle macrumors member

sayhitokyle

Hi,

So about 3 months ago I broke the screen to my 2007 MacBook, I've now taken the hard drive out, put it in a USB enclosure and tried to boot it on a friend's 2010 MacBook pro. It's recognises the drive and as far as I'm aware the files are all there but when I come to boot it I've now been stuck on the apple logo screen with a loading wheel for the last hour! What should I do? Is it safe to turn it off? Is this normal? It's still running so a replay asap would be amazing thanks!

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

The system from a 2007 MacBook will not boot a 2010 MacBook. Safe to shut down.

3. sayhitokyle thread starter macrumors member

sayhitokyle

So would I need to find a model of MacBook the same as mine?

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

What exactly are you trying to do beside boot the MBP using the old HD? Copy files? Something else?

5. sayhitokyle thread starter macrumors member

sayhitokyle

I should say the main reason I need to do this is to back up/update my iPhone is there any alternative way of saving the backup folder to say a windows pc with my iTunes library and it'll just back up as normal?

6. sayhitokyle thread starter macrumors member

sayhitokyle

Also, I haven't been able to back my phone up since October, and I've made music purchases and added new contacts etc. Would I lose all this? I would just wait until my MacBook is fixed, but I have no idea when I'll be able to afford the cost of repairs :/ and I'm worried that if my iPhone should crash I'll lose all changes since October

7. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Sorry. I don't know how to do this on a windows pc. Never used one. 20+ on Mac. There is software that you can use to get all files off your iPhone to make a backup like iRip, iPod.iTunes or iPhone View.

8. sayhitokyle thread starter macrumors member

sayhitokyle

Ah really? I'll check it out! You're a lifesaver thanks!
    If it doesn't work I'll just wait till I can afford to shell out £160 for a new screen :/

9. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Life saver? Not. The best app for what you want to do is Phone View not iPhone View. Here is a link.

Phone View