Please help! Bricked iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dwoods, Dec 6, 2010.

1. dwoods macrumors newbie

Okay so I am new to the iphone...I tried to unlock my iphone 3g with redsnow but the FW was 4.2.1 which required me to update the baseband to 6.15.00. After doing this my phone bricked. I have been trying for the last week to get it out of the bricked state because I know there is a way. Itunes wont restore because it is on a 6.15.00 basband now. I been looking and the custom IPSW's crossed my path now I have tried PwangeTool I belive it is called and QuickPwn but both are unable to be found, dont work, or are missing files to work. To unbrick I even tried the Rec Reboot but I can find all the files for this either. Can anyone help me unbrick my phone i know there is a way I just need some help find it :)

2. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

try using TU (tinyumbrella) and see if that kicks your phone out of recovery mode

3. LongbowFoSho macrumors member

Can you describe what the phone is doing? "Bricked" is a pretty vague term.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that it "bricked" in the middle of the JB/UL, so I'm also assuming that you're stuck in DFU mode. Try this:

1. Plug in the phone.
    2. Hold down POWER + HOME until the comp beeps, clunks, etc
    3. Immediately let go of both buttons and then press the power button

You should then see the Apple logo and boot up normally.

I've messed with a lot of iPhones and I've only had one that was irreparably bricked. It kept cycling in and out of restore mode and refused to complete a restore at all, whether in Restore Mode or DFU. It was still under warranty so Apple replaced it. Other than that, all the others were recoverable.

Good luck.

4. coyan macrumors newbie

error 1015 on my iphone 3g

so what i did is restored my jailbroken phone ios 4.2.1 since my cydia is not working,in the middle of the process the error 1015 pops up so i searched the internet for some answers and found this tinyumbrella i downloaded it and tried to exit in recovery mode but after my iphone reboots it's still in recovery mode pls. help can't seem to fix my iphone.

5. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

There is no way to "unbrick". That is if you iPhone is actually brick. There is no way anyone on earth can help you if all you said is "my iphone is brick". You didn't tell us if you see any error code. You didn't tell us if your iphone screen is on or stuck at somewhere. Come on... you need to be smart than that!

6. iabode macrumors newbie

hi guys i got the same problem. im getting a 1015 unkown error everytime i plug in my iphone to restore it. i recently upgraded to baseband 6.5.00 to unlock my phone and when i went to restore it to factory this error happened and now its stuck in DFU ive tried tinyumbrella and didnt succeed anyone have any suggestions?

7. rmul86 macrumors 6502

There's two remedies that worked for me:

1. I'm at work right now but I ran into this problem before. When I get home I'll show you a link that describes how to specifically remedy this situation.

2. Tinyumbrella has edited your computer's host file for the iphone which has caused this error. In tinyumbrella there is an option that you must uncheck (again I cannot remember what exactly you need to do, I am currently at work and the link is at my house.)

8. iabode macrumors newbie

then god speed to you sir, because my hope rides on you

9. rmul86 macrumors 6502

Just keep googling and you will be able to find a solution. It's all about trial and error. Your hope does not ride on me, it rides on your self. I am by no means a technologically advanced human, but I know how to research and search my ass off on google until I find a suitable solution. I can't guarantee that the remedies I found will solve any of your issues, but I will do my best to explain to you what I did and shed some light (when I get home). Have you tried googling something to the effect of: iphone error code xxxx (what ever your number is)? There are many people out there on boards all over the internet that have stated solutions. Just keep this in mind: Bricking a phone and having your phone stuck in a recovery loop are two completely different things. You do not have a bricked phone and therefore it can be fixed with the proper research and trial and error.

10. iabode macrumors newbie

yes i have, ive found the box that i have to uncheck in tinyumbrella and it still did nothing.

11. rmul86 macrumors 6502

Have you restarted your computer and/or exited out of itunes? If not send me over a screen shot of your host file from this location on your computer:

Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ and locate “hosts” file.

12. rmul86 macrumors 6502

Alright after some googling, I found the remedy #1 I found at home:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1567

Click on the "Restart the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS)" link

When you complete this, restart your computer and/or exit out of itunes. what ever ends up working (you mind as well restart your computer)

Also, try using a different usb port on your computer.

13. iabode macrumors newbie

here is the picture

Attached Files:

14. rmul86 macrumors 6502

you gotta open the host file for me. and take screen shot of it so i can see the lines. (open with notepad)

15. iabode macrumors newbie

16. rmul86 macrumors 6502

hosts

17. iabode macrumors newbie

here

Attached Files:

• aaaa.png
      aaaa.png
      File size:
      91.9 KB
      Views:
  18. rmul86 macrumors 6502

alright i think i gave you the wrong path for the hosts file. let me check it out when i get home, which should be in an hour or so.

have you tried rebooting and everything? have you tried the other remedy?

19. iabode macrumors newbie

yes i have tried about 5 other things now google has given me and rebooted

20. rmul86 macrumors 6502

When I had an error code: 10something, the hosts file fix worked. but the hosts file you showed me was different which leads me to believe I gave you the wrong file path.

21. rmul86 macrumors 6502

How far into the process does it go without the error code popping up?

22. iabode macrumors newbie

pretty much the end, in itunes then just unkown error 1015

23. marinessm macrumors newbie

Please!!!!! I am in need of some help

I have an Iphone 3GS and it is completly bricked. I am not from the United States but I had a true legit Iphone working with the carrier it was supposed to... I got an Iphone 4 an decided to give this one to my mom. I tried to jailbrake it and at first it worked... But then I tried to restore it and Itunes won't let me I wwas in FW 4.2.1 and went to the base band for ipad... I am really scared because I really am not that good at this and haven't found someone that can baby step me through the precess of unbriking my Iphone I tried the Tiny Umbrella but I really don't get anything I tried the Black rain and nothing can Anyone help me please because I am about to cry...:( I know there is someone out there that can help me.... please I am not an expert so if you can help me... please walk me through this... and please and I say this really nicely don't make fun of me I am really loosing my mind here and this was my christmas present and I can't give the phone to my mom like this.... Thank you for reading this and please HELP!!!!:confused:

24. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

One thought is anyone running the iPad baseband can't do a legit firmware anymore, you must do a custom firmware. Legit firmwares will error out if you went to iPad 6.x.x baseband.

Also pretty much all other utilities for jailbreak wont work on 4.2.1 now, there is only redsn0w at the moment.

25. Justinb51, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

**I just noticed that you upgraded your baseband, this may not work then. (sorry I didn't read carefully the 1st time)

I had the same problem with my wifes iPhone 4 a while back, we were trying to update from 4.1 jail broken to 4.2 unjailbroken.

Your problem is the last line in your host file, (or at least that was my problem) tiny umbrella puts that line in the host file so that iTunes checks with it, or cydia on a restore to verify that the firmware is good.

You need to open the host file as an administrator, delete that line, save it. Then open iTunes and restore.

Every time you open TU, it puts that line back in the host file.
    (I got all this info from a website called Redmond pie, I think, but I don't have the link.)
    Hope that fixes your problem.