Please help! Cable/adapter alternatives to Macbook Pro 15" Retina Display HDMI port

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alinta, Oct 24, 2013.

1. alinta, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

alinta macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I know similar questions to this have been asked, but I have a specific set of circumstances, can anyone help?...

I have a MacBook Pro 2012 Retina Display, solid state HD with 10.7.5 OX S, standard model. These come with an HDMI port on the right hand side of the laptop. Unfortunately, all my ports on the right hand side of the laptop no longer work due to water damage and I haven't had the time to get these fixed yet (and have been able to survive without them until now).

What I do have working, in terms of ports, is one USB port, and two Thunderbolt ports - everything on the left-hand side of the laptop. Though I have a feeling that the working USB port is just High-Speed Bus, not 3.0 (not sure, sorry, Mac beginner!)

I've just been told yesterday that I need to hook up my computer to a TV (Sony (2011?) with two HDMI IN ports) in only a few days from now. As it is so close, I wouldn't be able to get the port repaired in time. I've been trying to research HDMI to TB, HDMI to USB or Mini DP to TB so that I can link it up to one of my working ports, but I'm really unclear as to whether any of these will run from the Retina Display SS HD model (I've heard that Mini DP doesn't..??), or the lower speed USB. As this model comes with its own HDMI port, I'm worried that Apple probably assume there is no need for an adapter that does the same job.

Simply put, is there anything I can do to hook my particular laptop up so that I can use a TV screen as a second screen, with any of the ports I have available?

This isn't for gaming or movie watching, so a little bit of lag etc is ok. It is also ok if audio doesn't work through it. Of course it would be preferred but I'll take what I can get at this stage. Not worried about money, just a little worried about time...

For example, would something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10FT-Min...vision_Accessories&hash=item3f1e3f7184&_uhb=1 work, or is this just for older MacBook pros? The numbers (MC371LL/A, MC372LL/A, MC373LL/A) don't mean anything to me. :(

If any more information is needed let me know. I'm clearly new to this. :(

Thanks for your help,
    Alinta

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Not the one linked, but I've used one of these types of adapters on my 2013 rMBP. Did you check over on the MBP forum?

3. LaazyEye macrumors regular

Thunderbolt has displayport within it. What you have linked to will indeed work.

If you want sound make sure to go to the sound settings in system preferences and select hdmi as the output.

4. alinta thread starter macrumors newbie