Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peyt016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2014
I have a 2010 MacBook pro and recently created another administrative account and deleted my old administrative account in order to clear the information that was on it. Ever since, I have three icons in my dock. LOGIN server, NET server, and USB server. They are lit up underneath as if they are in use, and I cannot quit out of them because they are in use. I also cannot remove the icon from my doc with the drag to "poof" shortcut delete feature, because they are in use. How can I remove this from my dock???

Nov 28, 2010
located
What happens if you open the FORCE QUIT window via CMD+OPTION+ESC? Are they listed in there?
Are they listed in the Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts (or Users & Groups)?
Can you use Activity Monitor to quit them?

reyh

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
enable root account, su to root then run lsof...then kill that process..check for any startup process that you may have..Im sure this is similar to unix/linux..Im not really mac savvy but knowing unix really helps..You need to open terminal and know the kill command or killall command as well..hope this helps

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
enable root account, su to root then run lsof...then kill that process..check for any startup process that you may have..Im sure this is similar to unix/linux..Im not really mac savvy but knowing unix really helps..You need to open terminal and know the kill command or killall command as well..hope this helps

Last edited by reyh; .... Reason: added terminal comment

If you want to let Terminal commands stand out, in order for the reader to see them, use the CODE tag, either via the
code.gif
button or the [CODE]tiny little life forms, where are you?[/CODE] tags to get something like this:
Code:
tiny little life forms, where are you?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

Enabling root is a bit overboard for this problem. A simple sudo would work just as well without the security risks of enabling and improperly securing Mac OS X's root account.

Code:
tiny little life forms, where are you?

I know where this is from. :D

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
No, you think you do, but you probably have your emotions wired wrong. As always in these SUDO vs MSCDEX threads. Get help. Or coffee. Lots of it.
Man, it is getting undark after all.

An android sings it along with a nice beeping console melody. But I like what you're all doing here as well with all this data. Happy to see every generation works well here.

peyt016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2014
They are listed in force quit window and when I hit force quit, they disappear and come back right away. Same thing under activity monitor and in log in items. I cant seem to figure this out....

I do not know what a root account is or how to enable it. nor do I know what a sudo is.

any other advice??

Nov 28, 2010
located
If they are in LOGIN ITEMS, can you remove the listings via selecting them and then using the MINUS button to delete them from the list?
If so, do that and restart.

ROOT is an admin user with all rights to your computer, more than the standard admin user.
SUDO is SuperUser DO, a Unix command to do everything from washing the dishes to executing a process. The dishwashing part is abysmal though.

----------

An android sings it along with a nice beeping console melody. But I like what you're all doing here as well with all this data. Happy to see every generation works well here.

You know, yesterday that was over my head. Today I had to chuckle, damn you, you muppy ape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.