Please Help. can't install Mac Os X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacRyanJohn, Jun 21, 2009.

1. MacRyanJohn macrumors newbie

I recently decided to install windows XP home edition onto my iMac. i Used bootcamp and made a seprate 32 G partion.

I put the disk in started it on bootcamp and accidently partioned the Fat partion. I'm pretty sure i lost all my mac information. So i tried holding option to restart on a different drive; and only windows shows up. I put the Mac OS X disk in and when selecting a drive to install nothing shows up.

Just wondering if their is any way possible to just wipe my computer clean and start over.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Try booting up with the Leopard install disc in and holding "C" down.

3. MacRyanJohn thread starter macrumors newbie

The installation screen popped up and i still don't have a drive to choose. i have no idea what i did.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

After booting from the Installer DVD and just after you select your language, you have to launch Disk Utility from the menu bar. First thing I'd do is run its Disk Repair option to see if your OS X volume is recoverable. If so, then there'd be no need to reinstall the OS. Otherwise, reinitialize the drive with Disk Utility, then return to the Installer to proceed with the OS installation.

5. MacRyanJohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright!

I'm getting somewhere. the repair and verify didn't save my information. oh well. i can always re-install everything later.

anythign else i should be aware of when reinstalling this? because when i first picked up the computer it was already set-up

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Just let it do it's thing and it'll install it all for you.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If you still want to install XP, this would be a good time to initialize the drive with two partitions - one for XP and the other for OS X.