PLEASE help! Can't make call for Apple help! After installation the phone says...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Greenone, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Greenone, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

Greenone macrumors 6502

... "Hello" and then "Update Completed" and "there are just a few more steps to follow, and then you're done." Then it says to click on 'continue.' When I do that, the next step says "Apple ID Sign In" and "To finish setting up iCloud, enter the Apple ID Password" (for my email acct.). I'd never set up iCloud before this because my old operating system didn't offer iCloud. So I just installed Maverick on my Mac before updating to iOS 8 on the iPhone (which admittedly is an iPhone 4s but I don't think that should be a problem). After that, I hit 'next' and then it very quickly goes through this:
    1. "Signing in"
    2. White apple flashes on the screen quickly with black background I think...
    3. "update completed" very quickly
    Then it goes right back to "Hello" and starts ALL OVER AGAIN. No variation on my part makes a difference, including skipping the option of setting up iCloud. Same result every time!

In short, I can't get onto my phone. Can't make a phone call, can't check my messages, nothing - cause I can't get past this. :( I tried turning the phone off and then on again as well as my MacBook Pro (both with and without phone being plugged into laptop)...no difference on the iPhone.

What do I do?! Thanks!!!

2. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

3. Solver macrumors 6502a

4. flyinmac, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015

flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Did you actually try 911? Maybe that's broke too ???

Maybe see if they can patch you through to apple... Tell them you're baby's broken and needs tech support...

Ok, in seriousness, do you have a neighbor with a phone? It's a free call

5. Greenone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much. This worked. What happened unfortunately is that files were corrupted and I lost everything on my phone which included some special pictures and videos. :( I finally found an old land line phone and was able to use that - THANK YOU for helping me!! An Apple rep is going to talk to me later today to see if there's any way to find those pics.

----------

Thank you! I installed ios8 but in so doing files were corrupted and I had to re-install and reset phone as new. Later today will talk to someone from Apple to see if there's a way to find the missing photos but I don't have high hopes. Much appreciated - thank you for helping!

----------

I can't remember now but it does seem to me that I saw the words "emergency phone call 911" or something like that amidst all the chaos. I was able to find an old land line phone and use that to call Apple, and we started fresh. There were corrupted files. LOL - my baby was broken!! Thank you!

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Photos/videos should always be backed up, especially before attempting any type of modification of your device. Common sense #101 !

That said, I hope you can recover them but without purchasing a recovery application, the chances are slim.

7. Greenone thread starter macrumors 6502

They were backed up but the Apple guy said he's concerned that's corrupted too or something to that effect. I was so tired by the end of the whole process that honestly I don't even remember the details right now. Still, he's going to try to help later today (fingers crossed).

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Try it anyway. Best case, you can copy your photos/videos to your computer and perhaps your contacts etc to your new iCloud account. Worst case, your software takes a dump and you have to redo the whole recovery/restore

9. EthanLMT macrumors regular

EthanLMT

Click "Sign into iCloud later" at the bottom of the screen, that should work...

10. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

You initially said you never signed into an iCloud account so where are they backed up? iTunes? If so a backup restore (not the restore option in the main window) but the "Restore from backup" option if you right click the device while plugged into iTunes or select file>devices> in the menu. That will restore your data including photos.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

11. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Yeah.. this is a really old thread :p

12. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Duh yeah I see that now. Someone revived it and I didn't pay attention to the initial date. Opps.