Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voldy7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
This just happened to me yesterday... as far as I know, I didn't change anything or cause anything to happen. (If I say anything stupid, please excuse my ignorance, I'm not very tech savvy... :rolleyes:)
I can't view the contents of any folders in the Finder. Literally every folder I have created, in my documents, downloads, movies, music, pictures, etc., appear to be empty when I open them. I can't see any of the files. But I know the files are not gone, I can still find them by searching by file name, and they still say they are in the same locations.
I have no idea what to do to fix this, I've tried searching forums and such, but I can't find anything... please help! Thank you!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I can't view the contents of any folders in the Finder. Literally every folder I have created, in my documents, downloads, movies, music, pictures, etc., appear to be empty when I open them. I can't see any of the files. But I know the files are not gone, I can still find them by searching by file name, and they still say they are in the same locations.
I have no idea what to do to fix this, I've tried searching forums and such, but I can't find anything... please help! Thank you!
First, try restarting your computer. If that doesn't clear it up, try re-indexing your drive: Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.