Please help clarify the noble act of tethering

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by theleptonkid, Jun 19, 2012.

1. theleptonkid macrumors newbie

Well folks, the movie star thing fell through the other day. But it didnt bother me seein I had the Ol' astronaught to fall back onto, but the moon just does do it for me anymore..in short times is tuff and money is tight and crack dont grow on trees. In short inshort, I lost my cable.

But I came across the noble program that is PDAnet theres just a couple things that must be clarified. Cause my girls mom pays her cell phone bill, and ill be in big fugin trouble if she gets a 2000 dollar cell phone bill next month. so the main questions I need answered are:

- Is there a way to hide the bandwidth used while tethered using PDAnet, so that Data isnt accrued on her mothers limited data usage plan?

IF NOT

- How much bandwidth is used when surfing the internet, navigating strictly to basic webpaged (I.E. not streaming videos, no SERIOUS downloads, and minimal flash websites)

Im gonna finish by saying, how much I truly love computing and the net, the possibilities are really endless. I remember getting free dial up 5 years ago thank you

2. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

I doubt there's a way (without being a serious criminal type hacker) to avoid data charges. But you can monitor your data usage in settings to make sure you don't go over the plan limits.

3. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

I use my MyFi hotspot a lot with a 2 GB/month data plan and have rarely ever gone over 1 GB with normal browsing.

And what was said above is true. There is no legal way to hide data. Nor any easy way to do it. It's either pay for the tethering plan and that's a separate data plan or put it up secretly on your regular data plan.

4. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

If you're with AT&T they're pretty good at sending you a text when your plan is about to reach it's limit. In fact, they'll send you a couple of warnings before hand (sadly for me, the second warning came too late and I had to purchase another 1GB of data).

5. theleptonkid thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds good thanks guys, im gonna swing the question your guys ways before accessing the greatest information database/library in human history..."google".
    My computer doesnt have a wireless adapter, can I turn the phone into a wireless adapter and try a wireless connection without a password.
    thanks again guys

6. theleptonkid thread starter macrumors newbie

I found a way to use the phone as a Wireless adapter for my pc(not tethering) The way this is done is by turning off usage of data plan via settings in phone , then connecting to the wifi network then tethering. I havent been able to find any software that allows you to scan wireless networks via the PC...mabie that something someone should look into. If the software is available please point me in the right direciton thanks.

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

8. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

i got fed up with this hotel wifi, completely useless.

i just installed TetherMe, its working great!
    AT&T 3G to my MB Air.
    just install it, and activate your phones native tethering feature