Please help clearing confusion on bootcamp and parallels

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rainman7, Jul 25, 2011.

1. rainman7 macrumors member

Hi, I am a new Mac user and I am planning to install windows on my MBA because I need to run some specific software for school. I have done some reading on the forum and know that there are mainly 2 options to do so. Bootcamp or running a virtual machine like parallels, but I am still kinda confused and hopefully someone will be able to answer my question. Do I need to make a bootcamp partition first before I install parallels or I can just install parallels as a stand alone software to run windows? If I need bootcamp first, how much hard drive space should I allocate for the partition?

2. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Parallels and Bootcamp are two different ways of running Windows on a Mac, each with pluses and minuses.

You do not have to create a Bootcamp partition in order to install Parallels. Parallels can run as stand alone software (you do of course need a valid install disk for Windows). However, if you already have a Bootcamp partition, Parallels can use this existing partition for the Windows virtual machine, but again, it's not required.

3. rainman7 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. I think I will go with the virtual machine route. Just wondering if at some point, I feel that running parallels is too slow, is there any way to go back and set up bootcamp instead?

4. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Of course. The two are not mutually exclusive.