Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J.L.Photography

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
South Florida
Good evening...

My friend's 13" retina macbook pro was working fine, then today asked her to put in her apple id password like normal then it kept saying password incorrect several times, before resetting and it took us to a reboot, followed by this boot up above an apple logo, which would flicker on and off...

any ideas??? we set up a genius bar appt.

20141211_184934 by J.L Photography, on Flickr

J.L.Photography

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
South Florida
UPDATE:

Computer finally gets to the password screen but it seems the shift key is ruining the password login, messing with the exact login...

all other keys seem to be working as normal, just the shift key...

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Betting on suspected liquid damage. It would explain the malfunctioning shift key and the kernel dump as well.

Looks like the dark brown of a wooden table commonly found at a Starbucks. Keeping that in mind, if your friend frequents those types of places with her laptop, I would recommend putting her beverages in travel mugs from now on, if it indeed does turn out to be liquid damage.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like be some hardware issue.

Did you try to boot up in the recovery partition (cmd-r)?

I think the best course is an appointment with the Genius - good luck.

J.L.Photography

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
South Florida
Brand new computer, she's had it for less than 30 days... only thing i can think of in regards to liquid would be before our cold front down here in south florida, we keep the ac around 72, and she went out on the balcony with the macbook and perhaps some condensation from humidity???

Wonder if that caused any issues? maybe i should have her put it in rice...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If its brand new and doing that, definitely call apple and get it replaced.

J.L.Photography

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
South Florida
If its brand new and doing that, definitely call apple and get it replaced.

Apple store is charging her $700 to fix it.... they said the inside was all corroded... we argued that its impossible and how its brand new and a freak occurrence of condensation is the cause but they were stubbornly stuck on their robotic "give me all your $" line or go fk yourself...

Owell, not my laptop, not my issue... sucks for my friend...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If there really was a lot of corrosion inside, then it sounds like your friend isn't telling you everything - like she bought it "new", from that guy selling it out of his car :D

Corrosion isn't likely to be the result of one "freak condensation" event, unless the condensation was the result of sitting in a pool of water/liquid, much more than simple condensation. One episode of condensation might "trip" the internal moisture detection sensors - but would be unlikely to cause much visible corrosion - particularly in less than 30 days!

Condensation wouldn't produce damage that quickly (if ever) - so your friend had a liquid spill. Maybe she didn't do it, but somehow liquid got inside - not just a minor condensation event

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.