Please help , Computer won't start

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bloogersnigen, Sep 23, 2008.

1. bloogersnigen macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

I have a PowerMac G5 (3 GB ram, 10.5.5) which will not startup. One day I was loading files onto a thumb drive, and when it was done, ejected and pulled out the drive. The instant I pulled out the drive, the computer went black; not off, I still had a mouse, but the rest of the screen was black. I thought it had gone to sleep accidentally but after 5 minutes of waiting for it to wake (moving the mouse, pressing keys...) I just pushed the power button to turn it off.

Since then it has not turned on. It will start up, chime, go to the grey screen with a wheel, and then shut off. I have:

Booted off the Leopard Disc and tried repairing the volume, it said it could not repair it.
    Done the extensive hardware test, all pass
    Booted into safe mode, still no go
    Zapped the PRAM

I do have various backups, but this happened at a vulnerable time and i would lose a lot of data (though this would be much preferable to losing everything)

Please help me as I need this computer to work.

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

You could try to re-install Leopard (since you can boot from the DVD it does not seem to be a hardware-issue). I'd first try the "upgrade" option, maybe that fixes things. If not, I'd try "Archive and Install"...

Good luck!

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

hold down cmd+s, turn on the computer.

At the prompt, type:
    fsck -y

hit enter.

4. bloogersnigen thread starter macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

I tried archiving and installing, and the installer wouldn't let me install on the main hard drive, said it could not change that volume

I tried the fsck -y and it said:
    Invalid key Length
    (4,11159)
    **Volume Check failed.
    /dev/rdisk0s3 (hfs) Exited with Signal 8
    :/ root#\