Please Help. Connected my G-drive to 2012 Macbook Air & Nothing Happened

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by VideoNewbie, Jul 8, 2012.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

ive used my external hard drive on a couple other mac machines and it all works fine

i just tried plugging it in to my new 2012 macbook air via USB and nothing happens it doesnt show up on the desktop and it doesnt sshow up on finder

ive tried setting finder preferences to show external harddrives on desktop and still nothing

any ideas on what i can do?

2. KPOM macrumors G5

It should work. Does it connect to your other Macs or PCs using one or two USB cables? If you usually connect 2 (one for extra power), see that helps (plug it into an iPhone charger if you have one).

3. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Try a powered USB hub instead of a direct connection. The USB ports on my MBA don't seem to put out enough power to run my colorimeter, and my external drive (in a bus-powered USB 3.0 enclosure from OWC) has only worked intermittently.

4. SoIsays macrumors regular

Did you try updating the latest software for the air? Maybe that will help.

5. dyn macrumors 68030

Check if you can see it in the usb tab in the System Profiler (should be in the Utilities folder in Applications). If it shows up there you know the Mac at least sees it or not.

6. trondah macrumors 6502

The first thing to do would be launch Disk Utility, it should show up there if it's recognized. From there you can run repair/verify operations as well.