Please help connecting iPhone to new iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by h0ttballer, Dec 25, 2010.

1. h0ttballer macrumors member

So, well first of all, Merry Christmas!

I just had to restart my harddrive on my MBP and now my new iTunes wont let me add any files to my iPhone because it is not from the original source. Is there any way I can fix this. iTunes tells me that it will erase my iPhone, does that include ALL my contacts? Or only my music and apps??

Thanks!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Contacts, calendars, and apps can be synced both ways; in other words, iTunes should give you the option to merge contacts/calendars with the information on your computer.

Audio, videos, and photos can only mirror what's already on your HDD, however. If you choose to sync, the media on your phone will be replaced with the audio, videos, and photos on your computer.

You can control the syncing of each media type (i.e. music, apps, podcasts, movies, tv shows, contacts, calendars, etc.) separately.

3. h0ttballer thread starter macrumors member

so how can i sync my iPhone to my new iTunes WITHOUT losing any data, contacts, apps, etc

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Right now, is your iPhone connected? It's been awhile since I've done this, but assuming iTunes hasn't changed...

In iTunes, when you click through iPhone settings tabs (apps, music, podcasts, photos, etc.), are items set to sync, or has iTunes automatically unchecked all of the sync options?

If they're unchecked, you can choose to check them one at a time, pressing the sync button after each new selection. At this point, iTunes should give you a prompt. Depending on the item you selected to sync, it will ask if you if you want to merge (like contacts), or other items it will only give you the option to replace (like music).

Did you have your music, videos, etc. backed up elsewhere? If so, that will be the easiest way to get your media back onto your computer. If you didn't have a backup, there are ways to get the music off of your iPhone, but you need a third party program.

5. h0ttballer thread starter macrumors member

all the tabs are unchecked and when i check sync apps it gives me a box telling me that it will replace my itunes apps to my iphone, which i dont want because i have zero apps on my itunes. I dont really care for my apps cuz i can redownload them with my itunes account. im more worried about my contacts. will it delete all of them?

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Make sure your "new computer" is authorized with your iTunes account. Once it is, right-click your iPhone in the iTunes sidebar and select "transfer purchases." Instructions

This is the preferred method (rather than removing the apps from your phone and re-downloading, because you won't lose your app data).

When you select your contacts, the prompt should warn you before deleting any information, and should give you the option to merge. Since you don't have any contacts on your computer, merging should have the same effect as transferring contacts from your iPhone.