Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surfnsnowboard3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
Ok, I need some major help here. I will try to give you all the specifics I have, please ask if you need more information. I have a RCA HDTV with 480I and 1080 reception. the TV has BOTH component and composite imputs.

I first tried using the COMPOSITE cables to play videos from my iPhone to my television. No picture or audio would work. The only SIGN there was a connection was when i pressed "Format" on my remote (which changes my TV picture from normal, to zoom to stretch), there was a brief 1/2 second of audio I heard from the movie I was trying to play. I have already made sure my TV output in my iPhone is on PAL like it should be, so I don't think it has tok do with the settings on the iPhone.

I just bought the COMPONENT cables and plugged them in the corrent component ports (they ARE in the correct colors, that ISN'T the problem). same exact problem as with the compisite cables. No video or audio. Brief 1/2 second of audio when I press the "Format" button.

I also have a TV cable box (Time Warner) and a Home Theater system. I used the audio connectors of the component cables to the theater system and connected it to the iPhone and it works GREAT. I just want to be able to play videos from myiPhone to my TV.

ANYONE, please help. THANK YOU!!!

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Might be a stupid question, but you are using the new AV cables that plug into the Dock connector and not the old ones that go into the headphone socket, aren't you?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Next things to suggest are that you plugging the cable straight into the iPhone and not into the dock (apparently there is a problem with video out through the dock). What version of the firmware are you on?

Surfnsnowboard3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
Yes I am plugging the cable directly into the bottom of my iPhone and not the dock. And I am on the most recent 1.1.2 firmware.

Surfnsnowboard3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
I've tried both NTSC and PAL, both do no work. I have an UPDATE though. So I have a second OLD Tv in my house I just connected my component cables to. The video and audio WORKED GOOD. But that is a broken TV, so the picture blows. So I know the cables work, I just need to get it to work on this NICE, NEW HDTV. I don't know how tho :(. IDEAS???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.