Please help... Contacts issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by britneyfan, Jun 9, 2011.

1. britneyfan macrumors 6502

Apple gave me a replacement for my iPhone 4 this morning because my battery was draining because of a software issue and they said to not restore it from a backup... So I'm like okaaaay

BUT I NEED MY CONTACTS. How do I do that? PLEASE HELP.

2. Gjwilly, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I was in the same boat but luckily had my contacts backed up with Google Sync.

There are programs that can read and extract your contacts from your backups but most of them are payware:
    http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/
    http://download.cnet.com/iBackupBot/3000-18551_4-10969873.html

Those are probably your best bet but if you don't want to pay then I would try going ahead with the restore and then immediately uninstalling all apps.
    Your contacts will be back but the troublesome app will hopefully not get a chance to execute.
    Then you should find an app or a program to offload all of your contacts so you don't get stuck in the future.

3. Krayzie116 macrumors 6502

I don't have my phone to hook up to my computer at my house, but i believe once your device is hook up in iTunes you can go to contacts and sync it there

4. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you!!!!
    How do you immediately uninstall all the apps? I'm not very good at this so forgive me. :)

5. newagemac macrumors 68020

If you have MobileMe, just add your MobileMe account and it will pull in all your contacts automatically. MobileMe users have been enjoying these types of PC free features for years but soon everyone will have them for free.

6. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

Check out the Sync app and see if that will help. You can connect via Bluetooth and that may allow you to add your addresses, but you can also use iTunes to sync your addresses etc too if the address book has your info.

Cheers, Macjim.

7. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys.
    I think I'm going to restore it but uninstall all my apps.
    How do I uninstall them? Just x them out on my phone?

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Well see my revised message above about some software that might fix the problem for you.

If you are going to try the uninstall I wouldn't do it from the phone.
    Use iTunes to do the restore and then without even unplugging the phone go straight to the Apps tab in iTunes and uncheck all of the checkboxes next to all the apps and then re-sync.