Please help convince me to buy an Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by digitalduck, May 8, 2008.

1. digitalduck macrumors regular

OK...here is my quick story...I have my old iPAQ rx3115 and my cell phone. I was looking for awhile at just getting a smartphone and using that for both. I have looked at some of the new Verizon phones and they are great, but some are too big and (white)

So here is my delema. I was looking at gettign rid of my pda and then picking up an Ipod Touch. I hope I will notice a huge difference between the two (ipaq and Itouch) that it woudl make it worth it... I dont like the fact that there are no external speakers..but it looks very cool. Also, I would wnt to use it for video (music of course) and games...I have looked at the games being offered on iTunes, and they are...ok... but the games i could get on my ipaq seeemd to be better....the ipod touch looks like it is capabale of better results but i wanted to know...also what about the quality of the screen? My ipaq is qvga and 320x240 i believe...

Another questions is that im a pc user...how will or does the itouch integrate wiht pc apps..essentially "what can i do with this?"

Also with the conference coming up, will there be a new touch coming out in a couple months that will make me wish I had waited?

Thanks for your advice!!!

2. richardhunt macrumors regular

Honestly, if you want to play games on your PDA, then Touch is not for you. Even though the hardware is very capable, the possibility of games beyond those of just casual gaming are not very clear at this point. I have both and Iphone and an Touch, the the Iphone's "use anywhere internet albeit slow" is worth the $20 per month more that I pay over my previous plan.

The big buzz in the touch/iphone platform is the upcoming firmware which will allow for "official" 3rd party apps for the Mac. Everything is up for speculation as far as the quality and quantity of these appps, but judging from the existing "non sanctioned apps" I would say the future looks bright.

At this moment, the Touch is not really a "PDA" per se. It has a lot of the functions, and could potentially be a win Ce Killer, but again, it depends on the apps offered by 3rd parties. In your case, I wouldn't recommend the touch as a replacement for a Windows CE device based on your needs at this point in time, ask me again in 3 months, and maybe my opinion will change based on 3rd party apps.

If you edit documents and excel sheets on your PDA, this is not the right device for you.

3. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

So i almost have it narrowed down...I went to best buy again last night and played with the touch and also the verizon 6900 (white one)

1. THe 6900 is ok...BUT I found out it has no WiFi of course since its a smart phone and that sucks becasue i dont want to pay for the data plan..unless there is a hack for that but that is a different story..

2. So even though it has windwos on it which would make it easier for me and a speaker ext... no wifi.. where as the touch does and that is huge..plus it has some sort of file navagation which is good..its not the windows explorer feel...but looks like it "might" do.

3. It may come cown to games and videos...should i be worried about the codecs that are being usd compared to what codec i would normally use etc? I dont mind using itunes for music and videos...i use it myself now anyway....

4. I know with the WDC or whatever that big thigns will come out of it...so hopefully there are some decent game options now (because who are we kidding i would usse it for that sometimes too) which is something that is disappoiting because it "appears" that the touch has a nicer screen than my 3 yr old ipaq 3115...so i woudl at least want to play the same type of games that I get from clickgames.com or whatever etc...

Thanks again!!!!

4. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

So i think the last guy lead you wrong, i use my ipod touch for my entire multimedia life, games included. I find that most game apps (from installer, itunes games DO NOT WORK on it) are very nice, even mario kart advance plays nicely on it, as does almost all GBA games.

To extract the FULL potentioal you NEED to jailbreak, its the way to go :D

WWDC = World Wide Developers Confrence
    it it apples show off tech show (in a nutshell)

5. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

1. Ok, I relaly wish first that I could get teh phone I want to work on my network (the sprint htc touch on verizon) since I cant and I dont want the crappy white version of the touch (color, no wifi) that is why I was thinking about sticking wiht two devices... my current ipaq is old rx3115, but it still has a 3.5" screen... for some reason the ipod touch looks bigger..but i coudl be wrong..

2. I do want to use it for the occasional games to a point and would hope that I could "at least" play the potential kind of games htat I did on my ipaq...

3. Sorry to sound like an ipod newb but I guess i am.. I know the term jailbreak...but what does it do for the ipod..does it just make 3rd part apps available? Wont that happen in June anyway? IS the process easy?

4. As a pc user will i be dissapointed with having an ipod for my "pda" I know the functionality is limited since i wont be editing my word docs on it or anything.. but is it still worth it to have the "cross platform"

Thanks in andance..

6. Keegman650 macrumors newbie

It depends if you want to go through the trouple of jailbreaking the iPod. My jailbroken iPod has GameBoy, Gameboy Advance, and PS2 (That means games like Supermario, Pokemon, you name it) . It has features like a calculator, alarm clock, stopwatch, clock, AOL Instant Messanger, MSN Messanger, a GPS device, and a calender. It also has other games like Chess, Pong, Guitar Hero 3, Minesweeper, Blackjack, some car games, Connect 4, Solitaire, and a working piano. With wifi, you don't even need to have songs or video on your iPod. Just go to YouTube to listen to any song or watch almost any video. It holds tons of photos and using your jailbreak applications you can even use your photos to make an ipod background. The process for jailbreaking takes 30 minutes to do, and there are unlimited possibilities to you'll always find new ways to make your ipod better.