Please help convince me to upgrade to the 3G iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brinycbri, Jul 2, 2008.

1. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

I have the first generation. I love new gadgets, but at 15 dollars more, is it really worth it? Please help convince me it is (or isn't). Thanks!

2. animenick65 macrumors 6502

Hard to convince you. The original iPhone is a sweet device for sure and it will be getting a refresh when the 2.0 software becomes available. Saving that money each month is pretty sweet as well. The 3g update wasn't huge. For those of you who don't live in a 3g area, the update isn't worth it to many.

3. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

this is the stupidest post i've ever read. someone WANTS others to influence them to do something? i don't get it.

buddy....just block out about 2-4 hours of your day and read these forums, look at apple.com and surf google. solidify your own decision based upon your own personal needs in life and what you are capable of paying. no one here is going to be able to do that for you.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Actually (and hate me if you wish, heck my wife does) I don't see why anyone should convince you.

It's your money your choice. Threads like this spawn senseless wasteful bandwidth forum storage since they most of the time end up ppl flaming each other on which feature is best, which one sucks.

If you want one, get one, if not, don't. Pretty simple. Otherwise go to the mall or street corner and yell out the same question if you honestly can't make a decision on your own.

Read, google, compare, decide.

Otherwise let's bring on more threads like "Help me to decide to do a 2 pass wipe on my arse", "Help me to decide whether I need to change the oil in my car", "Help me to decide what to have for diner", "Help me to decide whether I should eBay my kids or put them on Craigelist"

5. yyy macrumors regular

You need to give us more details about your usage preferences: do you need the iPhone to surf the web and send/receive E-mails? Do you need the GPS functionality?

If you don't need all that then it probably wouldn't worth to upgrade. If you do need it, you'll get a 2.4 - 3 times faster Internet connection, a much more accurate positioning functionality and don't forget the audio quality improvements. I think it worth it for those who need these extra features.

6. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Do you live or travel in areas with 3G? This will make a huge difference if you like to use the wireless data aspects of the iPhone. Surfing real websites at Edge speeds; not so great. Perhaps you spend most of your time in hotspots, in which case the 3G upgrade will have less benefit to you.

Do you value GPS?

Do you like the updated design?

Improved audio (not sure exactly how this will shake out, but Jobs made claim to huge improvements)... is that appealing?

I guess, depending on your answers to the above... you can decide. Either way you will get 2.0, app store, and the option for MobileMe.

To me, this is a significant improvement on an already awesome phone. The lack of reasonable wireless data speeds was a big deal to me.

7. Badgerguy macrumors member

All you're gonna get with new hardware is faster data, and GPS. Are you using allot of data at the moment? Wish it was faster? Happy to pay for it to be faster? Go with the new model.

Are you using maps functionality allot at the moment? Wish it was more accurate? Happy to pay for that? Go with the new model.

If you don't use allot of data, or don't use the maps allot, then stick with your current model and bask in some smugness: you'll be getting iPhone 2.0 software for free - how many other handsets get such rich updates 12 months after release? :)

--
    BG

8. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

Personally, I think that this is just an upgrade to the original iPhone to eliminate as many roadblocks that stand between a larger market as they can. So basically, I don't think Apple is really trying to get you to upgrade yet. Probably next year at the end of your original contract.

9. brandonzar macrumors regular

If you don't upgrade to the iPhone 3G AT&T will send some goons to your house to kill your beloved pet. :eek:

Does that convince you?

10. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

lol......i'm convinced! i'll buy 2 phones!