Please Help! (Dashboard Crashing)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OrangeCuse44, Apr 18, 2007.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

All of a sudden today after i access dashboard, for the first time after a boot up my macbook completely craps out. It lags terribly with everything i try to do. As I type, the letters appear after a delay. Every operation lags and then eventually i will get an error message in regards to dashboard quitting unexpectedly. Not only does it lag but sometimes ill just get the spinning beachball for a minute or so. Here is part of the error report: Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000. Took forever to post this, what the heck is going on????

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

what widgets have you installed recently?

what processes does the Activity monitor reveal to be consuming the most resources?

3. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Have you checked to make sure that there are no processes that are using the widgets when you are trying to acess them. I had a similar problem when I was in developer mode and they were on my desktop i was trying to use the widget to access a program modual and it kept kernal panicing when i was trying to use the dashboard widget.

4. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

the last widget i installed was monday and it was Amnesty Generator. Its actually a program designed to make your own widgets out of google gadgets. I tried one, didnt like it then deleted it. But the problem started today which is weird.

5. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

if you set up another user account temporarily and use it, does the same thing happen if you are logged out of the original?

What happens if you move your (user library -- > widgets) folder and (user library -- > preference --> dashboard plist) to the desktop temporarily, and then try dashboard?

maybe you've solved it already.

6. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Problem solved. I ran Activity Monitor and noticed that my handy dandy MLB Scoreboard widget was using 736MB of real memory. That is not a typo, over 700 megs of my memory. So i deleted the widget and all is good. Thanks for all the replies.